Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Had Combined swine flu/ flu jab last week now FREAKING OUT!

(14 Posts)
jemsy87 Thu 23-Dec-10 16:31:54

Ok so I thought I would look after myself and go get the combined flu jab- stupidly I did it without researching first ( I just kinda paniced and went the same day as I booked it). Now Ive just read on the MN facebook page it can be really dangerous in pregnancy to get this vaccine esp in the 3rd trimester ( im 29 weeks)..... I know I should have done my research but i stupidly thought that as pregnant women are being advised to get it then it should be safe...I feel like an idiot and am terrified I may have put my unborn baby at risk! I havent had any side effects and its been nearly a week can anyone give me some reasurance or some advice please am desparete x

sarah293 Thu 23-Dec-10 16:35:33

Message withdrawn

NightLark Thu 23-Dec-10 16:35:45

What on earth kind of research did you do? Go and have a look at the MN web chat on this from yesterday or the day before.

Bloody scaremongering some people (not you) do. You haven't put your baby at risk.

NightLark Thu 23-Dec-10 16:36:44

Front page of mumsnet.

mousesma Thu 23-Dec-10 16:43:09

You have not put your baby at risk there is nothing wrong with the vaccine. It is however very dangerous to contract swine flu while pregnant especially in the 3rd trimister.

IMO you would have been putting your baby at risk and being a bit irresponsible if you hadn't had the vaccine.

thefurryone Thu 23-Dec-10 16:45:34

The flu jab is safe in pregnancy as it is not a live virus. You have done nothing wrong, please try not to worry.

jemsy87 Thu 23-Dec-10 16:51:30

Thanks ladies, Its just because someone on the MN Facebook page was going into one about how you should avoid the vaccine so I kinda freaked out thinking OMG what have I done x

As you can tell I am a first timer!

CardyMow Thu 23-Dec-10 17:22:48

I am 36+4 and had the jab yesterday. After having swine flu 18 months ago, and suffering complications for 8 full months afterwards, the thought of getting flu whilst being this heavily pg was enough for me. When I got SF, I had 5 chest infections one after the other, then in February this year, I ended up in hospital, on oxygen, as I almost did of pneumonia. The side effects from getting any sort of flu whilst being pg would be much worse IMO/IME than getting the jab.

pozzled Thu 23-Dec-10 17:26:34

IMO the flu jab is a hell of a lot safer than getting flu in pregnancy.

I had the jab last week at 13 weeks pregnant and am confident I did the best thing for me and the baby.

harassedinhertinselpants Thu 23-Dec-10 17:27:04

You clicked that link didn't you?! Never, ever click random links wink.

Stop panicking, it'll be fine. I'm also having the jab, but not until after Christmas.

stegasaurus Thu 23-Dec-10 17:29:35

You can't believe everything you read on Facebook! People spout all sorts of nonsense there and some people are very anti-vaccines. I reasoned that I haven't heard (personally or in the media) of anyone who has had a serious reaction to the vaccine but have heard of lots of people who are or have been very ill after getting flu. I am meeting some of these people on a daily basis at work. If you do some more research using evidence-based medical websites rather than facebook, you will hopefully be reassured that you have nothing to worry about.

wigglesrock Thu 23-Dec-10 18:42:06

I got mine done last week at 31 weeks. So glad I've had it done.

gallicgirl Thu 23-Dec-10 19:02:23

I've had it and been fine. They've been giving it to pregnant women in the USA for several years now and nobody's died and no-one's been sued so NICE figure it's ok for pregnant women to have.

I've also managed to avoid getting any of the numerous coughs and colds that have gone around the office.

EauRudolph Thu 23-Dec-10 19:16:33

Facebook is full of idiots, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and had mine done last week as well <waves to wigglesrock> . With all the news about the death toll going up and pregnant women being particularly at risk I am bloody relieved to have had it done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: