Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Falling over - can this damage the baby?

(11 Posts)
AmyLou32 Wed 22-Dec-10 16:39:52

Hi All,

I am 26 weeks pregnant and as I was leaving the house today I caught my foot on one of our small decorative tree stumps that line the front garden and fell flat on my face, it all happened so quickly that I didn't even react and put my hands out to stop me. I fell straight on to my stomach went a right cropper, and felt very winded. Now, I am generally a worry wort, so you can imagine what is now going through my head. Has anyone else had experience of this?

Thanks

Deliaskis Wed 22-Dec-10 16:42:34

Well, baby is pretty well protected in there with all that fluid etc. but if I were you I would ring my MW and see if she thought I should go in for a check. Have you felt baby move since you fell? If so then I'm sure all is fine, if not, you're probably still fine but I would get a check just to be sure.

D

sarah293 Wed 22-Dec-10 16:42:55

Message withdrawn

singingcat Wed 22-Dec-10 16:46:49

Having a fall can hurt the baby, but I would have thought that if it did something would have happened right away, so you're probably ok

AmyLou32 Wed 22-Dec-10 16:49:30

I have felt movement since I fell - so I guess that can only be a good thing, but I am worried that I could have damaged the baby in some way? Perhaps broken something - am I over reacting?

MotherJack Wed 22-Dec-10 16:54:14

I fell flat at speed at about 32 weeks - fell over the blooming dog!! I went with a massive bang and my baby stopped moving so I went for an emergency scan. Turns out the little blighter had just turned around and was merrily kicking away at something I couldn't feel during the scan!!

I can't imagine you would have harmed your baby if you can feel he/she moving. But if you are worried, I would phone your midwife. Worry is a dreadful thing and your midwife could put your mind at ease.

Deliaskis Wed 22-Dec-10 17:01:05

AmyLou I'm pretty sure if you have felt movement then all is fine. I don't really know whether they can break a bone inside the womb, bone breaks are really a result of very strong impact/stress in one place, and with all that fluid around there, there can't be a very strong impact in one place, as any 'impact energy' would be spread around.

But if you're worried, call your mw to chat through your concerns, worry isn't good for you or baby so best to put your mind at rest.

I really think if you've felt movement then all must be OK though!

d

AmyLou32 Wed 22-Dec-10 17:31:40

Thanks all, I will speak to the MW for some advice, but yes I am sure you are right that if there is still some squirming going on he/she must be ok. I had about 5 layers of clothing and a ski jacket on too, so that surely would have added to the cushioning

MotherJack, sorry to hear about your fall - that must have been awful to have no movement, just shows you how clever the little darlings can be even before join us in the real world
:-)

xx

ecuse Wed 22-Dec-10 17:59:48

I fell in the snow at the weekend. Not on my bump, on my hip, but with a really hard bang. I worried about it for about 24 hours before phoning the midwife who said I shouldn't worry in the least unless I had pain, cramping or bleeding (I had been feeling the baby move so not sure whether she'd have added "or can't feel the baby move" to the list otherwise).

I felt instantly better once I'd spoken to her, so would definitely recommend you doing that if only for the peace of mind.

littleyellowchicken Wed 22-Dec-10 18:40:16

I fell at 26 weeks too. Big fall, broke wrist and went smack on bump. Went to A&E for wrist and they sent me up to maternity ward to be checked out. No one seemed very worried because I had felt movement but were understanding of my need to be reassured. I'm not sure I could have slept that night if they hadn't checked me over. Midwives were lovely and put me on a monitor for almost an nour to check everything was OK - and it was.
I think baby is well protected in there. My advice would be, even if you don't get fully checked out, at least talk to a midwife or someone similar to be reassured.
And try not to worry.

growing3rdbump Wed 22-Dec-10 20:08:38

I would get checked out to be on the safe side. I fell on my back in bath when Preg with DD1 (7yrs ago). I didn't really think it serious until I eventually remembered I'm resus neg, and had to have anti D. They found fetal cells in blood and said if I'd come in earlier they would have kept me in for observation - luckily all was ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: