Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Cheap Prams..

(33 Posts)
Charleney Tue 21-Dec-10 14:15:24

Hello, does anyone know any websites or shops that do cheap prams??
Im really struggling to find something i can afford..
Thanks

QueenOfFlamingEverything Tue 21-Dec-10 14:16:04

Ebay grin

1Catherine1 Tue 21-Dec-10 14:16:49

I second that - ebay is your best bet

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 21-Dec-10 14:16:51

Argos? How much do you want to spend?

Charleney Tue 21-Dec-10 14:17:24

Lol im on there now i want a travel system! How cool are they! lol.
(First time mum.. excited about everything!! lol)

Charleney Tue 21-Dec-10 14:18:03

DP reckons we can get one for about £60 hmm how can someone be so tight with money at 24?? lol!

Slobbadan Tue 21-Dec-10 14:18:49

Try kiddie care as they have some fab prams and quite cheap.

Scouseem Tue 21-Dec-10 14:31:07

I second kiddie care. Really cheap. I'm gettin the obaby zezu an its on sale so only 200 from 330. Bargain.

diyqueen Tue 21-Dec-10 14:35:03

We got a second hand one from a friend that's in good condition, for £40 (as well as a load of other random baby stuff). Also saw some that would be in your budget at an NCT nearly new sale recently (google NCT sale in whatever your county/nearest big town is and you should find the next one near you). For second hand stuff I'd rather see it and be able to check it over before buying.

Giddyup Tue 21-Dec-10 14:37:25

Ebay rocks for prams, just choose one that will accept cash on collection and is fairly local. That way you can check the condition before accepting it and paying.

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Tue 21-Dec-10 14:40:47

Keep an eye out on nurseryvalue.com for there reworked ones. They are also a seller on ebay. Its the manufacteur that does a lot of mothercares brands.

waitwhat Tue 21-Dec-10 14:42:35

I got my graco travel system on ebay for £30 it was in really good nick to as it was only used on Saturdays by the grandparentsgrin

reallytired Tue 21-Dec-10 14:42:48

kiddiecare January sales are good.

Its also worth looking in the local paper.

I found it was a balance between cost and durablity. Its worth thinking about what you need in the short term and the long term. A newborn needs a sturdy pram, which might be quite heavy, where as toddler needs a pushchair that will need to last three years on average. Typically most babies out grow the pram / travel cot mode by six months.

I got a mamas and papas pliko prammette second hand and later on I bought a Maxi cosi mura in the sales from kiddicare last year. The maxi cosi mura is great in snow, but is quite heavy. I have a small fold up buggy for the car.

Charleney Tue 21-Dec-10 14:54:55

Thankyou everyone, i will check out all of those.

Do babies really grow out of travel systems that quick? I thought they would last until about 3/4?

toddlerama Tue 21-Dec-10 14:59:35

ALWAYS buy used. You can then sell it on for the same as you paid for it (provided you don't hammer it!). I have a Mamas & Papas Pliko 3 which I love. It cost me £5 from the tip and I'm thinking about getting new seat covers for about £30 on eBay, but probably wont bother as these have washed beautifully. Obviously, that's some extreme scavenging, but eBay has some bargains, as does Preloved.

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Tue 21-Dec-10 15:01:44

Its not that they outgrown them it that the parent wants something lighter and less bulky

cece Tue 21-Dec-10 15:03:19

Travel systems, you will find, are very big and bulky. By the time baby is 6 months old you will be crying out for a small, light weight stroller.

So buy a sheap second hand travel system on eBay and then save your money for a decent stroller later.

tanmu82 Tue 21-Dec-10 15:22:11

I bought the baby weavers travel system from kiddicare and it is really light and easy to manouever....it came with car seat, carry cot, footmuff, 2 raincovers (for car seat and carrycot/seat) forward and rear facing seat, changing bag and mat. It cost 270 incl delivery - couldn't be happier

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Tue 21-Dec-10 15:26:24

Also there are lots of local buy and sell baby stuff groups on facebook

smoggii Tue 21-Dec-10 16:20:32

Try your local Netmums boards, we got a quinny buzz 3 and maxicosi car seat (promised never been in an accident) we were going to pat £70 for it but turned out the lady needed a fridge and we had a spare one as we'd just had our kitchen done so we swapped and didn't end up paying anything. It was in excellent condition just needeed a clean and new tyres, as they were a bit bald, which i picked up on ebay for £8.

Can use the seat with or without base, managed to get a base again off ebay for £30 and then got the matching carrycot (New with tags) off ebay for £40 so whole travel system for £78 and an old fridge - not bad going.

Leilababyno1 Tue 21-Dec-10 17:21:31

I like the other ladies on here, totally recommend Ebay. Mamas and papas have got a couple of prams in the sale for £125...but then you are getting a very basic model. No extras!

I bought a hardly used Bebecar 3 wheeler travel system on Ebay two weeks ago for £70!!! Very pleased grin

Just make sure you select how far you want to travel and 'auction only'. Good-luck!

Leilababyno1 Tue 21-Dec-10 17:25:38

By the way, a good travel system you can use til your babas at least 3 years old(just change the carrycot attachment for the buggy attachment)...and the ones you get nowadays are getting much lighter, not so bulky.smile

midsmom Tue 21-Dec-10 17:27:49

try pushchairtrader.co.uk there good and have good reviews for you to check on. There all second hand but there pram fanatics on there so in really good nick.

nicm Tue 21-Dec-10 18:05:33

i was looking through ebay and thought this was a bargin? looks like the old quinny prams only under a different name. comes with a carrycot and can take the maxi cosi car seat.

nicolamumof3 Tue 21-Dec-10 20:25:48

what do you mean by a 'travel system' please please not a carseat clicked on top of a buggy?! shock

before you choose your pram, it depends largely on your lifestyle.

do you walk everywhere? drive? use public transport. would you like your baby to face you? do you live in a house/flat is storage a problem etc?? All points to think about before you start shopping!

you would be better off buying a reliable brand second hand than a cheap one that will fall apart within months of use. What you want to use for the first few months may be totally different to what you want to use for you 2yo as well!! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: