Talk

Advanced search

Newborn baby and visitors - how to prevent spreading viruses to baby

(17 Posts)
Kiki84 Mon 20-Dec-10 18:17:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucy101 Mon 20-Dec-10 18:22:38

They shouldn't come and see the baby if they are sick, or think they are going down with anything. IMO they should wash their hands before touching the baby and you should keep an eye on general hygiene around the baby (unwashed adult hands in their mouth, adult cold sores etc.).

I am a bit sensitive about this as I am very pregnant and have some immune issues and earlier this year lost a baby near to term. One friend (who knows the above) decided to visit with her sick child... I was consequently laid low with a terrible cold and in bed for a few days.

Now I am telling everyone I have to/want to see that if they are ill or have been in contact with someone very sick that I would rather see them another time.

People just don't think unless you point this out to them so you are wise to think about it.

CommanderDrool Mon 20-Dec-10 18:23:14

Tell them that ghe midwife recommends they wash their hands before they hold 'the baby.

Are you breastfeeding? If so your baby wil be receiving your antibodies in ghe milk to help fight infection.

And try not to worry - they are tough wee things

CommanderDrool Mon 20-Dec-10 18:25:05

Also remember most second babies will have a snot ridden toddler sticking fingers in their mouths and they survive. grin

CommanderDrool Mon 20-Dec-10 18:29:05

Lucy101 sad

tlise Mon 20-Dec-10 22:56:53

I think newborns have immunity for about 6 months anyway from what I remember, I would worry more about you catching things when you need to be on top of things x

OnEdge Mon 20-Dec-10 23:09:48

i got in a state about this. i banned visitors for two weeks. i understand that you can't do this. I bought a big bottle of that hand gel, and i made everyone use it before they held her. Everyone was very obliging. I led the way and did it too.

I also asked everyone if they had had any illness during the past couple of weeks. One bloke said that he had just got over flu and a bad chest. I left the baby in the car ( was at Mum's house) popped my head in the kitchen and said I had to go because of it. They all rolled their eyes a bit but I didn't care, it just isn't worth the risk. At least I knew I had done my best to protect her, she was only 2 weeks old.

If you are breast feeding, I think he will have a great deal of protection from the antibodies in your milk.

kikibo Tue 21-Dec-10 00:10:54

Banning people because 'they are coming down with something' will not be effective as there is something like an incubation period. I.e. the amount of time it takes for a disease, be it virus or bacteria-based, to get through. Most contaminations occur in the time between the actual getting of the bug and it becoming apparent (the person getting ill), as people don't know they've got something yet.

For the rest, make sure that, if they sneeze or anything, they wash their hands and get them to disinfect when they arrive. I think that's not too much to ask, do you? I mean, they have been in a place where there is a lot of potential disease around wink. However, newborns are usually protected a little still after birth even without breastfeeding.

lucybrad Tue 21-Dec-10 14:26:55

i am very worrid about this too, as my self and the family have just had a terrible virus and the kids are not yet over it. Baby is coming thursday. I asked the doctor if she thought that the baby would be immune because i have had the virus while pregnant. She looked non plussed!

She said 'dont worry plenty of babies are bornin the winter and they are ok'.

Can see myself turning into a maniac about it!

Mum2Pea Tue 21-Dec-10 15:05:21

Lucy101 I'm very sorry to read what happened to you, but generally, can I say I think you are all being a bit paranoid?

I agree that its better that those that have a cold etc stay however must people are sensible without you having to point it out
Secondly if someone is already feeling the symptoms, then that would mean the contagious period has passed so again no reason why they cannot visit …….

And as someone already mentioned, non-1st babies have all sorts of germs flying around from their older siblings and are all fine!
I think maybe being pregnant gives you too much time to think about these things and work them up to be far more extreme than they really are ………

lucy101 Tue 21-Dec-10 15:58:31

I actually don't think I am being paranoid. Since I asked people not to visit if they were unwell or had been around sick people, two of my friends told me that their children had or had just had suspected swine flu and were glad that I told them not to come. Some people just don't think!

lucybrad Tue 21-Dec-10 21:23:34

i dont think I am being paranoid either - just sensible. I definately dont have too much time on my hands as I have spent the last 12 days caring for sick twins, while 38 weeks pregnant. I dont want my tiny baby beong exposed to a bug like the one my boys have just recovered from. And bugs are contagious for longer than just the incubation period. The flu is contagious in children for up to 2 weeks after.

buttonmoon78 Tue 21-Dec-10 21:43:52

Lucy101 I don't actually think you're being paranoid. I think you're being understandably cautious. And I'm very sorry that you've had such a terrible time. I most sincerely hope that you have a healthy baby this time.

OP I would ask them to stay away if they feel they've been in close proximity to anyone who was ill and ask people to use normal (but to actually use) cleanliness procedure. By that I mean that many people say they do but don't really do it.

I think that really, in most cases, it's down to common sense. And also, how much risk is acceptable in your own personal judgement. That's not something I or anyone else should judge you for.

OnEdge Wed 22-Dec-10 00:02:02

Mum2pea I disagree that most people are sensible regarding this. I've had people come to visit a newborn with a chest infection, and also my SIL has lied or played down her daughter's D&V and visited us. People quite often couldn't give a fuck in my experience.

lucybrad Wed 22-Dec-10 08:52:53

thats what my SIL does as well onEdge. I find people really dont care too.

buttonmoon78 Wed 22-Dec-10 08:56:47

That's what I mean by actually 'use' normal procedure! People will say they've washed their hands and used hand rub but unless you've seen them do it don't believe them.

Am currently having this scenario (with a few changes). Friends are due to come tomorrow night, children been sick earlier this week. Am planning to ring later today to ask full details of last episode etc. The reason in my case is my mum's coming for Christmas on Friday, is currently v rundown and her immune system is not good at all. The last thing she needs is us contracting something and then giving it to her! I'd rather not see my friends and miss out on a lovely meal than do that!

Kiki84 Wed 22-Dec-10 13:02:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now