Talk

Advanced search

Is 42c too hot for a bath during pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
MsFox Sat 18-Dec-10 21:31:19

Just that really.

Am suffering with terrible back pain and a hot bath is the only thing that helps. Glanced at the thermometer and it read 42c... is this too hot?

I'm 20 weeks.

TIA

MumNWLondon Sat 18-Dec-10 21:37:28

You'll get different views - eg I was happy to sit in jacuzzi at gym as I asked and it was set to 37-38c, which isn't that hot (and it certainly didn't feel very hot - but many of here wouldn't even use a warmish jacuzzi (I was not worried about cleanliness, as think cleaner than baby pool which has toddlers weeing in it)

One of risks is birth defects - so not sure why you'd want to take the risk.

lilly13 Sat 18-Dec-10 21:39:47

Yes, the water should be your body temperature - 36.6C max

MsFox Sat 18-Dec-10 21:40:57

Ok so 42c is hot then? I've always taken super hot baths so I'm not sure whatr a 'normal' temperature would be.

MsFox Sat 18-Dec-10 21:41:52

Oh gosh... is it a substantial risk then? sad

MumNWLondon Sat 18-Dec-10 21:45:56

risk of birth defects apparently baths over 39c esp if for more than 10 mins.

llareggub Sat 18-Dec-10 21:53:38

I have this vague notion that 37c is the maximum temperature when pregnant. I have no idea where I've got this from though.

Don't panic, but keep it a little cooler next time. Back pain can be eased by some gentle yoga, if that helps.

MsFox Sun 19-Dec-10 08:15:57

I think it may be SPD so hopefully a chiropractor will help and I won't miss my hot baths!

tlise Sun 19-Dec-10 10:41:49

be careful with Jacuzzi's, didn't realise until recently it can affect babys hearing apparantly. not that I have ever used one, but its just one of those odd facts you pick up through life lol. I don't know about birth defects but I do know that if you have it too hot, you are at risk of putting your blood pressure up anyway.

hoolabombshell Sun 19-Dec-10 11:27:35

Okay well I'm in big trouble then, I have 'hot' baths on a regular basis because I have been told it is ok.

This is as long as the bath water isn't too hot that you can't step into it (ie. it can be very warm, rather than scalding), keep your bump as much above water level as you can. I've not read about the birth defects thing until now, so that's yet another worry I can add to the list. I thought it was more about ensuring your body temperature didn't go up too much that you are dehydrated afterwards.

Surely the water temperature starts cooling down as soon as you stop running it anyway, so I can't see the problem?

MumNWLondon Sun 19-Dec-10 11:59:53

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/h ottubs.htm

very hot baths less of a risk than hot jacuzzis as baths cool down whereas jacuzzis maintain the heat.

Helloginger Sun 19-Dec-10 12:17:30

I thought baths were ok so long as you're not raising your core temp. I've set the temp on our hot tub to 37 degrees and am only immersed for short periods and find the floating very therapeutic. But for bad backs, an ice pack is often better as it reduces the inflammation whereas hot baths and packs can make things worse, despite feeling good initially.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now