Talk

Advanced search

Are Braxton hicks normal at 17 weeks?

(12 Posts)
sum04 Sat 18-Dec-10 17:35:30

Are Braxton hicks normal at 17 weeks?

jasmine51 Sat 18-Dec-10 17:54:16

Are you sure they are BH? the uterus sometimes does cramp as it moves up out of the pelvis around that time.

sum04 Sat 18-Dec-10 17:57:36

Yes im sure they are, as this is my third pregnancy.
I just cant remember when i had them with my other 2, but since this morning i woke up to my tummy hard on and off like a ball.

littlenuttree Sat 18-Dec-10 18:02:54

I'm pg with DD2 and had BH start at 17wks too, after I'd been overdoing it one day. I'm 32+4 now and they've carried on ever since - fun! I didn't get them with DD1 until about 34wks so panicked a bit this time, but my MW said that they can start after 16wks.

Hope this helps! smile

Yorkstar Sat 18-Dec-10 21:00:47

I started at 17 weeks with braxton hicks too. On second pregnancy and am 21 weeks now. With my first ds, i started at 22 weeks so recognised what they were immediately. Usually worse after i have over done it in the day or have a full bladder

phonix Sat 18-Dec-10 21:33:28

I thought I was imagining it too, but now I'm absolutely sure I've been having them since around about 17-18 wks also with my third DC. So, hopefully it's normal!

FessaEst Sat 18-Dec-10 21:36:49

I had them from 20 weeks, worse when going up stairs. As long as they are not painful etc you should be fine smile

ChasingSquirrels Sat 18-Dec-10 21:36:52

mine started around 19wks with ds2, by about 21wks they were at about 5/6 an hour - every hour, and stayed that way until he was born at 37wks (ds1 had also been 37wks - but with none of this).
I had various tests for UTI's, and had a trace done at around 32wks which the hospital panicked about (I had thought it was a light hour as I was sitting there doing nothing with my feet up) and I was kept in overnight and had steroids for the baby's lungs in case it came early.

It wasn't much fun.

On the up side - ds2 was born in 15 mins

mubm Sun 19-Dec-10 08:38:42

I've had them from 14 weeks this time around! Someone else on mn said that she'd been told they increase when you're not getting enough fluids, so I've been drinking more and they do seem to be fewer. Not that they're terrible. I just find them annoying I get loads of them.

Scouseem Sun 19-Dec-10 08:38:59

Yep you can. I'm 16weeks and have just started to get them this is also my third DC so maybe the more kids you have has something to do with it.

beckie90 Mon 20-Dec-10 13:00:20

ive had them from been 14 weeks this is my 2nd child, with my 1st i started with them towards 30 weeks

tlise Tue 21-Dec-10 16:52:12

I started this week with them although I am further on, not painful, just keeps feeling as though its tightening, and mainly on the bus which is odd as I'm not moving personally lol. Going to try drinking more, not heard that one before, and thats something I don't do until I am thirsty cos I forget. But I haven't noticed them before in previous pregnancies until after 30 weeks and this is my 6th, but I have heard of people getting them a lot earlier. If you are worried, give your mw a call, thats what she is there for xx
Tracy 23+4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now