Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

can induction cause placental abruption?

(6 Posts)
carrie12 Thu 16-Dec-10 19:28:07

My friend was being induced and the vaginal exam (insertion of gel) was vvv painful. A few seconds later the fetal hb was down and she had a crash c-section. Later it was found out she'd had a placental abruption but the medical staff were non-plussed and said this had never happened before. has anyone else had anything like it happen to them (vaginal exam cause placental abruption)??

LunaticFringe Thu 16-Dec-10 19:37:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

carrie12 Fri 17-Dec-10 11:30:22

thanks yes they are ok. just scary if VEs can cause this sort of thing - she has vaginimus which would have meant she was v tense throughout.

serendipity16 Fri 17-Dec-10 16:04:46

Hi.

I've had 2 abruptions.

First was a concealed abruption which resulted in my daughter being stillborn.

With my next pregnancy my consultant wanted me induced early due to my previous stillbirth & abruption.
I has a pessary inserted & everything was going fine. Contractions fine, got to 5-6cms when a huge clot came out. I was rushed up to the delivery suite where i had a crash section under GA. My abruption happened about 10 or so hours after i'd had the pessary.
I was very ill afterwards & needed 11 units of blood. I was told a few days later i'd had another abruption.

I did ask if it was anything to do with the induction but was told no. As i'd previously had an abruption i can't say if its anything to do with induction.

Glad to hear mum & baby are ok, an abruption is really scarey.

tlise Fri 17-Dec-10 19:53:43

I have been induced with 3 of mine and never had a problem...tbh not known anyone that has. It could just be a co-incidence x

carrie12 Sat 18-Dec-10 21:18:09

thanks for your replies. serendipity I am so sorry to hear about your daughter

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: