Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone been pregnant with Crohn's disease/UC?

(7 Posts)
Helzapoppin Thu 16-Dec-10 15:22:52

Hello

Just found out I'm expecting number 2
I was hoping for a little hand holding and reassurance from anyone else who is/has been pregnant and has IBD.

DD is 22 months. I took Azathiorpine throughout pregnancy and 14 moths of breasteeding hmm . SHe was little at birth but is absolutely thriving. Had an excellent pregnancy. Healthier than anyone I know. I haven't been to GP yet as it's a new surgery for me and have no consultant to speak to as yet.

Not sure what I'm asking- I'd just like to know I'm not the only one out there.

Thanks

theagedparent Thu 16-Dec-10 15:26:44

I have 4 dds and have crohns disease. I didn't take azathioprine while pregnant but did take steroids. They kept an extra eye on me and made sure I took extra folic acid as I wasn't absorbing it very well.

Helzapoppin Thu 16-Dec-10 15:42:46

Wow...4! I think I'll be stopping at 2 but I salute you and it sounds like the whole pregnancy/childbirth with IBD thing has been okay for you!

I think that I made the mistake of looking on the internet and scaring myself. I don't know anyone else with IBD and so I sometimes feel like I'm the only one taking risks and with a more complicated situation regarding babies, if you know what I mean.

Did you also breastfeed? I did last time (although given lots of conflicting advice)

judyhell Thu 16-Dec-10 17:39:06

Hiya,

I'm somewhere between 11 & 12 weeks pregnant with my 1st, and have Crohn's. I'm currently on both 6mp (similar to azathioprine) and infliximab. As I've been quite ill over the last few years, we eventually gave up trying to get me off the infliximab, though I will be stopping it before the 3rd trimester when apparently it can cross the placenta.

It's reassuring to hear that you breastfed on azathioprine, as my IBD nurse wanted to discourage me. There's no way I'm likely to be able to cope with withdrawing all the meds, and I'd really like to breastfeed.

Nice to know there are others out there in a similar situation. Not sure I can do much hand-holding and reassurance, though, as it's my first and I'm quite nervous about how it will all go!

Helzapoppin Thu 16-Dec-10 17:55:13

Hi Judy

Congratulations, you must be thrilled! My consultant told me that he thought that the benefits of breastfeeding outweighed the risks and that it was my choice. Very little of the drug crosses into breastmilk so I took the risk and am really glad that I did.

It's just so nice to know that there are some more out the with the same issues and taht it can go well. I think that I had scared myself by reading lots of rather too cautious advice and scare stories.

I've found some useful information on the NACC website about drugs and pregnancy in Crohn's which put my mind a rest.

judyhell Thu 16-Dec-10 19:41:00

Thanks Helza smile and congrats to you too! What I've read has made me think it's probably worth taking the risk with breastfeeding, but good to speak to someone who's done it. I will take a look at the NACC site again as well.

Can I ask how little your DD was? Did she come early? I've been told that both smaller and earlier are common with Crohn's. So far all is going ok as far as I know, but first scan and hospital maternity appointment are next week, so I'm trying to avoid getting too excited till I've got more evidence that all is well...

Helzapoppin Thu 16-Dec-10 21:06:34

She was born on her due date by EMCS ( cord compression,nothing to do with the Crohn's disease). Was a little small at 5lb6oz. Ate like there was no tomorrow.... she's 22 months and caught up size-wise with her peers at about 18 months. She is very, very healthy, absolutely no problems with her at all.

My CD calmed down totally when I was pregnant, had a flare up about 5 months after the birth, which is normal. Have had 2 rounds of steriods (flared up again this summer) which seemed to calm it down again and hoping it will all calm down during this pg too.

Best of luck with the scan. The info on the NACC website is really reassuring and I suggest you talk to a sensible consultant about things, as this really helped me to get the issues straight in my head.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: