Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used Mozzie repellent during pregnancy? DEET? Please help!

(10 Posts)
JimmyChoo17 Wed 15-Dec-10 21:00:48

Hi

Anyone had to use some sort of mozzie repellent? I will need to use some due to tropical holiday looming however I am reading mixed opinions/reviews! Should I be concerened about the sun lotions with the repellent built in too?

I usually use Mosiguard in the day and Bens 100 in the evening. Both are pump sprays and easily avoid inhaling these.

I will be 11-14 weeks.

I am in the UK too so any UK brand info would also be welcomed.

Please help am panicking!!

(Am not in malaria areas and also will be trying to keep away from the hotspots at night and cover where possible = i will be a sweaty betty!)

OkieCokie Wed 15-Dec-10 21:51:40

You shoudl avoid DEET. From what I remember Mosiguard is fine to use while pregnant

slimyak Thu 16-Dec-10 11:00:23

The best thing to use is Avon skin so soft dry skin oil. It's just a moisturiser but it really works as a mozzi repellent. Obviously Avon don't market it as this but if you google it you'll find lots of reviews saying how good it is from mountain bikers and experdition leaders.

I'm always the main course on the buffet for mozzis, pregnant or not, and although this didn't keep me bite free this summer in Italy, I really do think it made a big difference.

It's only about £3 a bottle to worth a try.

It is worth noting that with increase blood volume, increased core temperature and also an increase in % of CO2 you exhale you are more delicious to mozzis whilst pregnant so do use something but I would avoid the deet.

lljkk Thu 16-Dec-10 15:38:54

I used Mosiguard a lot one long summer when PG (DS is now 11yo). It was a midge repellent for me (mosquitos don't bother me but I have a strong allergic reaction to almost any other insect bite or pinch). I worked in infested conifer woods at the time.
DS is fine, btw .

lljkk Thu 16-Dec-10 15:42:06

Oh,and when looking for repellents, beware of Diethyl Toulamide, the proper name for DEET, too. I remember being told by a chemist that anything but DEET was fine, but I has sneaking suspician so asked about one which listed not DEET but Diethyl Toulamide instead -- he had just assumed that I would know what DEET stood for. hmm

natmay27 Thu 16-Dec-10 16:44:13

Hi, I went away and asked in Boots they were really helpful and I bought a natural boots own one with citronella in it. Was fine for me! Have a fab holiday

JimmyChoo17 Fri 17-Dec-10 21:04:43

Thanks, am visiting a big boots in the morning weather permitting, and will ask.

Mosiguard has always served me the best so thinking should use it. Mind you will pregnancy make me even more appealing than normal? Mozzies rejoice as I land and all shout dinners arrived!! grin

ReshapeWhileDamp Fri 17-Dec-10 21:19:57

DEET is nasty for anyone really. I'd steer well clear at the moment.

Skin So Soft is fabulous stuff. (It whiffs a bit, mind you.) I think you want the Dry Oil Body Spray. The 'right' one used to be called Woodland Fresh but I think it's just Skin So Soft now. Squaddies use it to repell bugs! (DH says it reminds him of our honeymoon, which we spent in Midgetastic West Canada, so it can't smell that bad!)

JimmyChoo17 Fri 17-Dec-10 21:21:42

That's Avon isn't it? Would have to buy online and am wary stuff I bought online weeks ago is still yet to arrive. Will have no presents for family to open at Xmas!!

Can u buy Avon in any stores?

ReshapeWhileDamp Fri 17-Dec-10 22:43:08

I don't think you can buy Avon in shops, no. sad I normally get my Avon-hates-mozzies stuff from ebay, but there are other sellers out there. Have a google and see if there are sellers you might trust more than the ones you've used recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now