Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
How did your 12 week scan go?(16 Posts)
I'm eagerly awaiting my 12 week scan in a few days so to ALL Of you who already got through their 12 week scan, can you share the experience, please? I'm curious about:
- How long did the whole thing take?
- Were your calculated dates based on LMP far off from the dating scan?
- Were you given any pregagncy advice or any other more detailed information?
- Were you surprised about anything?
I'd really appreciate if you just share your thoughts with a newbe like me
1. About 15 minutes IIRC
2. totally irregular cycle, so LMP date useless
4. Stupidly surprised to see a baby. What did I expect?
good luck - I was really nervous!
It's 2.5 years ago now but from what I remember....
- About 15minutes
- Scan took 5 days off my LMP date
- Don't recall any detailed advice and don't remember seeing a MW at that scan.
- How quickly a pint of water goes into your bladder and how horrible it is to be busing for a wee and not allowed to go. Scan was on time - couldn't have coped with any delays!!
Took about 20 minutes, but 30-40 is normal. Depends how well behaved the baby is!
The scan date was 1 day later than LMP date.
No info given, that's generally all down to the mw IME.
Same as CrystalQueen- i couldn't quite believe there was actually a baby there until I saw it on screen. And I find it amazing how much it looks like a 'real' baby- tiny toes and everything!
Hope everything goes well for you.
1) 20 mins
2) hopelessly out - see 4)
3) no, just that everything seemed ok, and a print of the measurements for my notes + date for next appointment
4) to be 14+6 weeks pregnant when midwife and myself had estimated 8+5. To be fair, steroids I was taking masked all my early pregnancy symptoms (didn't find out til 12 weeks gone), so I had no idea when my last LMP was. He said 'you seem surprised'. Me: 'of course I'm surprised - 3 weeks ago I wasn't pregnant and now I'm nearly 15 weeks.' Wah! Also, I cried when I saw the baby, very emotional and also, curiously surprising in itself.
mine first 2 took about 15-20 mins
3rd was more like 45 minutes but that's because baby was in a funny position and they were desperately trying to get him to move round a bit!
calculated dates were basically right, yes
no, not given any pg advice. their job is to scan the baby, not give advice re the PG. if there are concerns you will be told though, obviously
um, i was surprised at how much they could see!
1. about 15mins
2. with DC1 I had no idea of date of LMP. DC2 and DC3 the scan dates and LMP dates were v similar
4. with DC1 was suprised at how clinical and detatched the sonographer was. With DC2 was just relieved all was ok as had been bleeding a bit in the 2 days before. With DC3 he sonographer was lovely and made it a warm and fuzzy experience
I am not having a 12 week scan this time, but had one at 9 weeks (booking) and will have one at 14 weeks. However, I have been told that the 20 week scan is now the official dating scan and even if my dates appear out by one day, my due date will be changed. I am in NI though, so not sure if it's different here?
1 - about 35 minutes, but the baby was in a very difficult position and I had to do lots of jumping around to try and make it move!
2 - Spot on (based on known ovulation date not LMP)
3 - No, though she gave info about the nuchal/triple test and some specific things to ask them to look at at the 20 week scan.
4 - I was totally surprised to see how much like a baby it looked! It had also never occurred to me that the position of the baby would make a difference at this stage, but that was me being very dim.
I think the time taken can vary massively. I was in almost an hour but was at a teaching hospital. There was also an hour's wait for blood test results, because they do the whole combined test on the day.
EDD put back a day.
I was told to 'stop worrying'! No more advice. Was given my risk for DS etc. and we discussed further screening options-risks were low so nothing else recommended.
The baby had hiccups which was quite a surprise.
That's interesting StiffyByng that you got the DS screening results there and then- I'm wondering how long it will be until I get my results and my scan was a week ago.
(Sorry for completely off-topic post, just surprised to see it!)
I think it took about 10 minutes but the waiting time was over a hour. The date I was given was about 4 days earlier than the date the GP had given me. They didn't give me any info, and the only thing I was surprised about was having to pay £5 (in £1 coins) for the photo when everyone else I know who went to different hospitals got several photos for free. My MiL is still complaining that she didn't get a copy of the scan photo and wants us to ask for extra copies of the 20 week scan photo.
They processed my result in about 50 minutes, pozzled. This is at King's in London. I do feel very lucky to have got it all over and done with in one visit.
Took about 15-20 minutes for mine.
The sonographer, who was lovely, asked me to go and pee halfway through so she could get a better look. I went and did the best pee of my life, and that seemed to wake the baby up - it was jumping around like a mad thing after that.
My EDD was put back about 4 days I think, so not far off.
I was also weirdly surprised to see a baby on the screen, but extremely relieved that everything was ok (and that I hadn't imagined the whole thing!). One of the nicest bits for me was my DH's reaction - he doesn't usually show much emotion, but he couldn't stop grinning, and looked so proud and happy.
Good luck with yours EatItAll!
- mine took about 15 mins tops
- turned out I was 15wks 3day (they thought I was 14wks 3 days - scan scheduled quite late). - they didn't give any pregnancy advice. Wasn't really expecting them too, though, cos they're just sonographers, not midwives
- nothing really surprising, except how unabashed my DS was! Told sonographer we only wanted to know gender if it was 100% obvious, but if not obvious, just to leave it. DS Sat with legs akimbo waving willy about for whole session!
Oooo I've got my scan in one week's time and I can't wait!! Let us know how you get on EatitAll!
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.