Talk

Advanced search

Me again, coule of Qs re being induced?

(6 Posts)
EmmieA Wed 15-Dec-10 10:58:06

I bought a TENS machine but now I am going into hospital to be induced, can I still use this? ie is there any point packing it? Also, if being induced can you still go in birthing pool? Even if not to give birth just for pain relief?

Firawla Wed 15-Dec-10 11:06:50

yes you can still use tens if being induced, i think it would be quite a good idea. when i was induced some other women there had brought theres and i wished i had got round to buying one.
not sure about birthing pool, if you just had the prostin and went into labour v quickly and straight forward from that then maybe they would let you? if you need the drip pretty sure it would be a definite no & you would have to be on labour ward
good luck!

maxpower Wed 15-Dec-10 11:06:52

Ok, you can still use a TENS machine but not if you're in the birth pool. With induction, there is an increased likelihood that you'll need an epidural. An epidural would prevent you using the birth pool and you wouldn't get any benefit from a TENS machine if you've had an epidural. Hope that helps. Good luck.

BornToFolk Wed 15-Dec-10 11:22:11

When I was induced, I was told that I couldn't use the pool as, in my hospital, once you are induced you immediately go under consultant care which means no pool sad. Your hospital may well have a different policy though so worth checking.

I took and used a TENS machine but it wasn't much good. It actually made me throw up! But I went into labour very quickly after being induced so I think it was just too late for the TENS. If I were you, I would take it though, you may find it helpful.

Good luck!

wigglesrock Wed 15-Dec-10 13:46:07

I was induced with dd2, can I just say that I found it a really positive experience. I didn't have to have the drip, kept mobile the whole time, used a tens machine and although didn't use the birthing pool, spent ages in the bath. Also I was able to stay under midwifery led care. I went into labour at 4.00pm and had baby at 6.45pm, no epidural, no forceps etc, had baby kneeling at side of bed. Good luck.

EmmieA Wed 15-Dec-10 15:37:20

Oh that is really nice to hear, thank you. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now