Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

ok, now I'm really worried

(26 Posts)
doitorelsa Tue 14-Dec-10 18:06:19

Following my thread yesterday about brown discharge, I have had more today. MW came round to listen to heart beat but was unable to find it, despite trying for ages in different positions. Have scan tomorrow but so worried, keep crying and will never get to sleep. I am 12+6. Anyone able to tell me it will be alright, or tell mewhat is happenning? Had scan last week, all seemd fine.

MainlyMaynie Tue 14-Dec-10 18:09:01

At 12+6 it would be more surprising if the midwife did manage to find a heartbeat, so I wouldn't worry about that. Lots of people get brown discharge, it's very unlikely to be anything bad. I know that when you're feeling anxious it's impossible to believe that though. Good luck tomorrow.

doitorelsa Tue 14-Dec-10 18:10:39

thank you so much for replying, that is so reassuring. Wish MW had said all that...

Lulumaam Tue 14-Dec-10 18:10:54

it's very early to find the hb with a sonicaid. it's more usual to try at 16 - 18 + weeks ,once the uterus is well up out of the pelvis.. so not unusual

also, brown discharge is not as concerning as red. brown is old blood, and in the absence of pain, it should not be too concerning.

cannot promise all will be well, but fingers crossed it will be

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 14-Dec-10 18:19:08

I hope that it turns out to be nothing, fwiw, I had bleeding with both of my pregnancies which both turned out to be fine in the end. Best of luck for your scan xx

doitorelsa Tue 14-Dec-10 18:33:17

good, good, good. If only scans could always be same day, I know I am lucky to get one next day but it is still awful waiting.

doitorelsa Tue 14-Dec-10 19:04:07

I know this sounds straw-clutchy, but is it possible I could feel movement at this stage? This is PG2 so I know what it feels like, but could probably make wind (which I have an abundance of) feel like baby, out of desperation. I can feel something in my stomach anyway...

callow Tue 14-Dec-10 19:13:39

I had a midwife appointment when I was 12 weeks with my second baby and she couldn't find the heartbeat. She arranged an immediate scan at the hospital. As I was driving to the hospital I remember thinking that I was sure I was still pregnant as I could feel tiny movements. ( I felt movements with my first at 15 weeks). Scan showed my baby was fine.

Best of luck for tomorrow.

Flisspaps Tue 14-Dec-10 19:20:08

Hope all goes well tomorrow. When I was pg I was told by MW it is pointless trying to find heartbeat before 20 weeks, as if you can't it tends to be down to the position of the baby but it (understandably) stresses the parents.

doitorelsa Tue 14-Dec-10 19:23:09

thats reassuring from both of you. I am sure I can feel little popping feelings, which I haven't had since 1st pg. I wish I hadn't phoned MW today, then I would just have slight brown discharge to think about, not emergencey MW visit, failure to find heart beat and scan booked for tomorrow. sigh!

spikydahlia Tue 14-Dec-10 19:32:29

I had brown discharge like you say just after my 12 week scan. It was very scary, but nothing happened. It turned into a bit of red blood then back to brown and after 5 days was gone. The M/W came over and did find a heart beat eventually. She thought it was just due to having sex which I know is quite common especially if it is the time you would have had your period.

I have had no other bleeds (touch wood) but at my 21 week scan last week they found that my placenta is covering the cervix. This might have been why I had a minor bleed/discharge.

We are all fine now but I was prepared for the worst and very tearful. The midwife was great, the people on the phone at the hospital weren't supportive at all.

Hope it all goes ok for you. If you haven't had any other discharge and you still feel pregnant it is all good!

LunaticFringe Tue 14-Dec-10 19:34:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 14-Dec-10 19:36:35

the waiting is awful isn't it. Try to get some sleep and best of luck for tomorrow.

CrazyChristmasLady Tue 14-Dec-10 19:40:38

I have heard the heartbeat is hard to find before about 15/16 weeks. Even past then, they have had trouble finding my baby's heartbeat, or it was there for a second then gone again. She was in a very awkward position.

Best of luck.

Petalouda Tue 14-Dec-10 19:41:46

Hey, I had some brown discharge-type stuff the day before my 12-week scan. I was a complete mess (emotionally) and the scan day was so nerve wracking. But the scan showed everything to be normal (and I'm now 25+4 and still all good!)

People mentioned implantation bleeding a lot, and I got confused thinking 'well, since the blastocyst implanted a good 6 weeks ago, I don't think so', but my new midwife explained it better:

She said at 12 weeks the placenta is just at the point where it's taking over full support of the embryo/fetus from the yolk sac. Bleeding is often caused by the Placenta implanting into the uterus lining. Which makes a lot more sense to me!

A slightly different event happened to a friend, early on she had a huge bleed. Bright red blood. They scanned her and showed her a large area of uterus lining that had come away. But this was away from the placenta, and so her beautiful baby was born A-OK!

So don't panic! And they're right about the heart beat thing!

sotough Tue 14-Dec-10 20:44:18

i'm surprised the midwife even attempted to find a heartbeat at such an early stage and didn't realise this would only be more distressing for you. it can be pretty hard to find even at sixteen weeks+ with a doppler.
bleeding is not always an okay sign, and as someone who has been through multiple miscarriages i personally think it's best to be psychologically prepared for the possibility of bad news; but as other posters have said, there is plenty of hope too. wishing you the very best of luck- i know how painful and frightening the uncertainty is.

doitorelsa Wed 15-Dec-10 19:47:47

Hi, just to let you all know scan showed all was absolutley fine. So relieved, as you can imagine. MW at hosp also said we could have just gone in yesterday, didn't need to wait until appointment this morning, which would have been better. thanks for all your advice and calming words.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Wed 15-Dec-10 19:51:36

Fantastic news

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Wed 15-Dec-10 19:52:47

Congratulations - what a relief for you smile

I am actually a bit cross on your behalf that the MW even attempted to get a HB at 12 weeks - that is ludicrously early and was bound to leave you more concerened than reassured.

StiffyByng Wed 15-Dec-10 20:09:13

It may have just been a desire to be helpful and reassuring gone wrong. I had my midwife's appointment 2 days before my 12 week scan. I told her how petrified I was of a missed miscarriage and how I was dreading the scan as a result. She listened for the heartbeat on the strict understanding that we were very unlikely to hear anything - it was her idea. I was massively lucky and we heard the heart. Both the other midwives in her team have told me they wouldn't have tried. But it made the lead up to the scan far more bearable.

I can imagine how much worse it must be to be bleeding and have the additional scare of no heartbeat, but maybe she was trying whatever she could to help?

Flisspaps Wed 15-Dec-10 21:32:26

Hooray grin

geraldinetheluckygoat Thu 16-Dec-10 13:17:45

oh thats great, I was wondering how you got on! smile

FrostyPhlebas Sun 19-Dec-10 14:18:30

doitorelsa I'm really glad the scan brought good news

I'm in the same position - 12+1 - mw tried to find the hb this morning (twice actually), couldn't hear anything much & now I have to wait until Tuesday afternoon for my 12 week scan. I'm in a complete panic

(she's a mw I've seen in previous pregnancies & she was able to find the hb at booking in those pregnancies so I'm finding it v. hard to to think the worst )

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Sun 19-Dec-10 14:23:21

Frosty please try not to worry. It is extremely unusual to be able to hear a HB on a doplar at 12 weeks even with optimum conditions ( e.g. when you are very slim and the placenta is in the right place).

Chances are that the baby is low in the pelvis - as it should be and that it is simply way to early.

FrostyPhlebas Sun 19-Dec-10 15:34:23

Nancy ... thank you. I should've said no when she offered. Bleurgh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: