Talk

Advanced search

Best "substance"; to use for perineal massage?

(17 Posts)
Moulesfrites Mon 13-Dec-10 20:28:55

Am 34 weeks now so was thinking about starting this - dh unfortunately not keen to help - but have heard different things about what to use - ranging from olive oil to ky jelly. Any suggestions?

kelly2525 Mon 13-Dec-10 20:45:49

Dear god, im over 35 weeks, and if any fucker comes near any part of my nethers, i`ll rip their fingers off and eat them

Moulesfrites Mon 13-Dec-10 20:59:49

I know Kelly but I have done a completely non- scientific survey amongst my friends and the ones who did it didn't tear whilst the rest of them did- having said that am sure someone will be along soon enough to say it didn't make any difference.

LDNlady Mon 13-Dec-10 21:03:07

I have nothing to add but Kelly that really did make me laugh out loud.

lizandlulu Mon 13-Dec-10 21:26:26

aparently almond oil is ment to be good. i bought some when i was pg with dd and it sat in the bedside table for about 3 weeks, then i had her 3 weeks early, so i dont know if its any good, but there you go grin

Moulesfrites Mon 13-Dec-10 21:26:43

Anyone else? Am keen to get started asap!

Leilababyno1 Mon 13-Dec-10 21:29:59

I have heard that pure vegetable oil is the best!

Megletitsnow Mon 13-Dec-10 21:30:57

olive oil. Can't remember if it was extra virgin or the normal stuff.

smellyfeet Mon 13-Dec-10 21:32:43

sweet almond oil from health food shop.

emsyj Mon 13-Dec-10 21:33:58

You can buy a small bottle of olive oil for, ahem, 'beauty and health' purposes in Wilkinsons for 79p. I used that but no idea if it would have helped as ended up with a crash section.

My Hypnobirthing book suggests sweet almond oil, olive oil or vitamin E oil I think. You can buy special oil for perineal massage - don't know if it's any good or what's in it as was too tight (no pun intended) to pay the extortionate price for it.

ecuse Tue 14-Dec-10 14:19:00

Haven't started yet, but I was planning to use olive oil... Not buy fancy stuff, though, just the stuff from the kitchen!

saucetastic Tue 14-Dec-10 16:37:39

You can also buy massive bottles of pure sweet almond oil for about £2.60 from asian grocery shops. Great for your face, wiped off with a steaming flannel also.

StiffyByng Tue 14-Dec-10 17:00:59

I'd like to try this but am prone to thrush. Is massage likely to set anything off?

happycamel Tue 14-Dec-10 19:27:26

I'm planning to use Johnson's Baby oil. I'm rubbing it on my bump too to keep it moisturised.

Fabulous stuff, cheap and doesn't smell of dinner!

thesecondcoming Tue 14-Dec-10 19:29:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JuneBugJr Tue 14-Dec-10 21:41:51

'Spunk' <<chokes on Cadburys Flake!>>

Surely a penis has to count as some sort of perineal massage though doesnt it <ponders the issue of willy size with this one>. I have heard that regular sex during pregnancy helps.

Before I kill the thread, Id say sweet almond oil. Only because Im not sure I could look at olive oil in the same way again.

smoggii Wed 15-Dec-10 04:41:45

I was talking about this with my very good (also pregnant) friend when she said 'I don't use olive oil in my cooking...do you think it's ok to use Frylight?'

I nearly pee'd myself laughing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now