Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

maternity clothes - oh man!

(29 Posts)
Page62 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:38:18

i am currently 11 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. My jeans are starting to dig in the late afternoon/evenings. i decided to buy some basic maternity clothes - both work and casual wear - so trousers, skirts, tops, cardigans, jeans, vests, tights, leggings - you get the picture.
i tried to buy stuff on sale on the website when i can. got a few stuff from dorothy perkins and jojo maman bebe. Total =£540.

it has been 5 years since i was last buying maternity clothes - can someone point me somewhere cheaper for next time!

PS i have also been so ill with hyperemesis (hospitalised twice so far) so today i felt like treating myself a bit

JoanPlaysTheAccordion Mon 13-Dec-10 15:41:09

ASOS have a good range. Also, New Look and H and M, plus Gap now do maternity.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 13-Dec-10 15:41:40

e-bay usually has some good stuff.

Pinetreeland Mon 13-Dec-10 15:42:16

Second hand clothes on ebay?

Page62 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:45:55

ah, these are all very useful. thank you. i am hoping i can ebay them all too when i am done (don't know where i will find time though!)

Boo81 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:47:36

I've bought loads of stuff from ebay for very little. Got a few work dresses for around £10 each (including postage) and some smart tunic tops for the weekend for around the same price.

My best bargain so far has been a dress I bought for an upcoming wedding. It is brand new with tags and retails for £59. I got it for £6 including postage!

greentig3r Mon 13-Dec-10 15:52:22

I got away with some non-maternity things from TU at Sainsbury's and H&M, and just bought a couple of sizes larger. Cheap and cheerful.

pepperonipizza Mon 13-Dec-10 15:52:27

Blooming marvellous (get your mumsnet discount!) in the sale. M and s, and I'd second ASOS also.

Wait for the sales if you can!!!

Congratulations!

PaigeTurner Mon 13-Dec-10 16:06:24

ASOS and Top Shop for me.

Bought a swing coat from New Look and it's shite - cold wind up the bump and every single button fell off within a fortnight.

oh4goodnesssake Mon 13-Dec-10 16:09:43

Primark are good for big cardigans, t-shirts, vests (nice and long) and leggings. Also DP do lots of tunics and smocks in non maternity and they had loads in the sale the other day.

jellyhead188 Mon 13-Dec-10 16:21:57

I got three pairs of jeans from mamas and papas for £10 they have some good offers on!

Next outlet stores are good for mat stuff too I got 5 pairs of trousers for £60 recently!

jcp123 Mon 13-Dec-10 18:06:01

Next and Mothercare have been best for me. Absolutely refuse to buy a winter coat though, even though I can't fasten mine. Only 7 weeks left!

JoEW Mon 13-Dec-10 18:10:19

I've bought lots of cheap and cheery stuff from H&M. They do fab long sleeved t-shirts and loose dresses that you can layer and look quite smart for work but not too formal, so fine for weekends too. I'm living in these with M&S maternity tights - by far the best I've found - and a pair of boots.

Haven't bought a winter coat yet, mine just does up but I'm only 22 weeks so I might have to give in before too long.

PipPipPip Mon 13-Dec-10 19:26:25

Next and H&M for me.

LDNlady Mon 13-Dec-10 19:39:31

Thank goodness for this thread. I am going to have to start buying maternity stuff now at 15 weeks. Have managed until now as am slightly big anyway but even my big things are feeling little now. Guess my eBay account is going to get battered over the next week or so.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 13-Dec-10 19:39:57

I would say New Look for tops and trousers and jeans. That's where I got them all from and they've lasted well but I agree with another poster about the coat. I bought one too and the buttons have fallen off and the arms aren't wide enough so if you are wearing a jumper underneath it feels too tight. Everything else though is fine and I love their over-the-bump bootcut jeans. I have then in a size 12, 14 and 16 as I have gained that much weight! Very comfy!

TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 13-Dec-10 19:41:17

Avoid Mother2be at Mothercare though as they are really poor quality I find. I have never got on with anything there.

Leilababyno1 Mon 13-Dec-10 19:42:37

Definitely Ebay!!! And H&M for trendy/comfy over the bump jeans!

Page62 Mon 13-Dec-10 19:53:26

Arrrrggh, because of the hyperemesis and still being quite sick even now I am out of hospital, I am just doing online shopping and h and m is nit online!

Leilababyno1 Mon 13-Dec-10 20:28:45

yeah..unfortunately H&M online is rubbish, you have to go down to one of their branches. Check out Very online, for choice.

Leilababyno1 Mon 13-Dec-10 20:30:17

Oh! and George at Asda online..

lizandlulu Mon 13-Dec-10 21:30:10

another vote for ebay, for some reason, alot of it goes dirt cheap, i got a brand new pair of next jeans with the elsticated sides for £3.79 plus about £4 postage!

plus asda, but ours doesnt have much choice

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe Mon 13-Dec-10 21:35:15

Isabella Oliver do very very comfy maternity stuff. It is pricey but can get it on ebay and they have sales and discount codes. I think it's worth it because I wore my stuff a lot and it washed well and it can still be worn after you have the baby.

LittleMilla Mon 13-Dec-10 21:36:47

I went to Gap at the weekend and managed to pick up some bits. I quite like their under the bump leggings - two for £20 and they're good quality. Also got a shirt dress that I expect to see me through and a cheap t-shirt (in the sale) for £4.

However, I have found their skinny jeans to be bagging too quickly. But maybe I'll appreciate that the bigger I get!

I am a bit of a gap addict anyway, so biased. But I just like the quality of their stuff vs. H&M etc. And they nearly always have soemthing in the sale, so it's cheap!

I am 21 weeks BTW.

defineme Mon 13-Dec-10 21:46:33

You can get a special fastener that makes your jeans and so on last a bit longer-can anyone remember where you get them from.

My friend who has just had her baby didn't buy anything maternity except bras! She wore maxi skirts/dresses (I just got a plain black stretchy maxi one in primark for £11 that would fit 2 babies in)-, long vests from most places in a larger size and just wear your shirts/cardigans openover the top. Bigger cheap tights/pants. It's good cos you feel less dreggy if you have to keep wearing them after your baby is born.

There's also a bit of material (belly band?) that you can make/ buy that stops you exposing your bump if tops are riding up.

I got lots of passed on stuff from friends-have seen bundles on freecycle before as well.

I refused to buy a coat too, but did have a lovely swing coat that sufficed. Also remember wearing a very big scarf to fit in the gap!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: