Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Think DP may have swine flu

(12 Posts)
BramblyHedge Sun 12-Dec-10 17:46:58

So do I panic or is it mainly overblown fuss?

I am 7 mths pregnant with dc3 (and dc2 and dc1 are chesty children). I have never seen DP so ill in the 13 years we have been together (but that is because he is never ill) and he has all the symptoms according to NHS website. I know it could be normal flu but either way I am now selfishly worrying about myself with being pregnant (and obviously the kids). It might be because I have not slept much in 48hrs and the kids are driving me bonkers but I am now worried. I don't have anywhere we can go and tbh it is probably too late. Please tell me that I am worrying about nothing and not to be silly smile

blushington Sun 12-Dec-10 17:48:43

It's probably just normal flu. Is anyone even getting swine flu anymore? I haven't heard of it for ages

blinks Sun 12-Dec-10 17:52:07

what are his symptoms? being pregnant, has there not been mention of the flu immunisation with your HV/GP?

winnybella Sun 12-Dec-10 17:52:52

Yes, swine flu is back so I would call a doctor and ask whether you need anti-virals just in case or whatever.

Obv could be something else so don't panic.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 12-Dec-10 17:56:47

Hang on -do you have any symptoms whatsoever? I know you are stressed but actually, if he's had the symptoms for more than 48 hours and you haven't got any symptoms, and providing you are practicing good hand hygiene, you are probably not going to get it.

BramblyHedge Sun 12-Dec-10 18:24:51

whomovedmychocolate - you are quite right, I have no symptoms and I assumed he was still contagious so I could still get it. But this is what I want to hear - common sense! I think I am just getting cabin fever with the kids!

Nobody has mentioned any vac to me - not midwife or the consultant. Might call up tomorrow and find out if they are offering it.

He basically has the symptoms mentioned on the NHS website: cough, cold, tiredness, sickness/ runs, temp, aching, doesn't want to eat.

lucybrad Sun 12-Dec-10 18:34:11

midwifes ahould have offered you the jab as you are in an at risk group. Swine flu is about this year, but there is also another flu (H2N3) about as well. Neither of these you want to get obviously, but if I were in your situation, if you get so much as a sore throat I would apporoach your doctor and ask for anti virals to help you combat it. Hope it all turns out ok.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Sun 12-Dec-10 18:58:40

When I was heavily pregnant with DS last year, DH had suspected swine flu. We basically practised super hygiene methods - handwashing, no kissing, wiped door handles etc etc. I was working at the time so was doing this anyway. I was fine.

blinks Sun 12-Dec-10 19:19:54

definitely sounds like flu but it's impossible to say which seasonal flu it is.

i'm sure they could arrange the vac for you tomorrow at your surgery and as iggly says, lots of hand washing/keep all snotty tissues in separate bin, toothbrushes separate etc.

kikibo Sun 12-Dec-10 19:33:25

At any rate it is more likely to be normal flu. That's a start.

Get a doctor to test? But on the up-side: flu is actually pretty nasty and it can make one very ill indeed. No need to be swine flu.

For the rest, as Blinks said, separate everything from him from you and the children. Either way, whether he's got normal flu or swine flu, you nor the children want to get ill, right? Wash your hands when you do food or when you want to touch your mouth or any mucose (?) tissue (eyes, mouth, nose).

As for the jab, a number of people actually got ill from it rather than immune, and some died (a minority but still). It's maybe better to take precautions like not touching doornobs or washing your hands after doing that and avoid really really public places like stations and the like. Tough they are somtimes a necessary evil.

bessie26 Sun 12-Dec-10 22:13:46

When I had flu-like symptoms last winter I ticked all the boxes for swine flu, but swab revealed it wasn't (it took a week to get the result back).

Regardless of what type of flu it is, they are all nasty & you and the kids want to avoid it - ditto what the others are saying about ultra-good hygiene (can you lock DH in his room? wink) & about speaking to GP about getting anti-virals as soon as you get any symptoms (you need to start taking them early in order for them to have an effect)

I was offered seasonal flu & swine flu jabs because I was pg - hasn't your MW said anything to you about them? I'm sure you could get them both tomorrow if you asked.

JeelyPiece Sun 12-Dec-10 22:35:59

kikibo

"As for the jab, a number of people actually got ill from it rather than immune, and some died"

How did you come up with that one? I would ask you to provide a link to a reliable source back this statement up but you will not be able to do that.

What a silly and irresponsible thing to write.

BramblyHedge, in your position I would be on the phone to your surgery first thing tomorrow asking for the flu vaccine. My surgery wrote to all people at risk (which this year officially includes pg women) to invite them to attend the flu jab clinic. I had mine a couple of months ago at 17 weeks and am bloody glad I did as now I don't have to worry like this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: