Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is it legal/safe to put pram in car with back seat folded down?

(17 Posts)
Esme11 Sat 11-Dec-10 21:51:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StealthPolarBear Sat 11-Dec-10 21:53:30

I don't think there's anything in law about it, I think it would be fine - you can probably jam it in so it won't roll or move.
However if you leave it like that your car will be a target for thieves

BikeRunSki Sat 11-Dec-10 21:54:57

As long as the baby seat is properly secured, and the load you are carrying (eg the pram) is secure, you are not breaking the law.

I carried the carry cot of my Buzz on the back passenger seat, with DS in his car seat on the other side of the car.

DanceInTheDark Sat 11-Dec-10 21:55:27

It's dangerous, in a collision, to have lose items in your car. I wouldn't do it but if there was no choice i would strap it down.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Dec-10 22:06:53

Its legal to do it and I'd do it. I'd use a bit of rope or bungee cord round a bit of the pram and then round a door handle or something.

Are you sure you want that model though. Cos I think it would turn out to be a real pain in the bum stuffing it in the car and strapping it down all the time. You'd have to keep a sheet over your seats all the time or they'd me muddy and dog shitty in no time. You'd be limitesd on passengers. I'd pick something that fits in the boot or get a new car.

NellieForbush Sat 11-Dec-10 22:38:18

I used to shove mine in the passenger seat but obviously its a pain if you want any other passengers.

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Sun 12-Dec-10 00:02:37

An object weight increases 40 times it's own weight in an accident so no it's not safe at all.

Esme11 Sun 12-Dec-10 09:00:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MumNWLondon Sun 12-Dec-10 13:30:24

Personally if I had a car like that I'd buy a small pram. As small as possible.

Aside from the safety issue it would be pain to get it out of car (even more so if you had to take wheels off) and out and a target for theft.

I know several people who bought expensive travel systems that were hard to get in their car and then ended up buying smaller prams later as they never wanted to go anywhere as it was so much hassle.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 12-Dec-10 13:32:22

I was one of those people MumNWLondon - I eventually freecycled it and got a cheap stroller which is a fifth of the size.

Sapphire1 Sun 12-Dec-10 13:34:36

Esme, just a word of warning - make sure the car seat fits before buying the travel system. I had to get rid of my ford ka as literally no car seat was safe in it when tested (on the back seat). If you are happy to put a car seat in the front you may be ok.

ItalianLady Sun 12-Dec-10 13:37:16

IMO travel systems are a waste of money and very big. We used a pram for the baby to sleep in and go out in in the day and then they went into a buggy at 4 months and then their cot.

buttonmoon78 Sun 12-Dec-10 19:33:51

It's perfectly legal but I wouldn't do it. I am very much a risk taker but this is one step too far for me! Even with bungees etc, you have not tested the arrangement in crash test situations and would not be able to predict what might happen.

I would get a smaller buggy. It's just not worth the risk.

I speak with the certainty of someone who had a cherry pie in a foil tin cannon into the back of my head during an accident. That bloody hurt so imagine what a 10-15kg pram would do...

ChippingIn Sun 12-Dec-10 19:45:07

I wouldn't do it and I would also think very carefully about a travel system. Unless you are going to walk hours and hours then I would get a sling & a smaller buggy or a Phil & Ted type thing. Travel systems really aren't all they are cracked up to be tbh.

Udderly Sun 12-Dec-10 19:51:43

I got a travel system for my 5 wk old. I use the maxi cosi car seat and the massive frame and thats it. At the ante-natal class the MW's advised to get a light fully reclinable buggy suitable from birth and not to waste money on a travel system, and they were probably right! Also the frames are bloody heavy and hard to manage if you end up with a C/S. When DD is older if I want to use the (currently totally redundant) buggy part I will have to put it in the car as it won't fit in the boot with the frame, and this is a fair size 5 door saloon. I knew all of this before I bought of course, but totally justified it in my head, hindsight is a great thing!

Meglet Sun 12-Dec-10 19:57:46

Not really safe IME.

I had a minor crash at approx 20 miles an hour and a cuddly toy hurled from the back of the car to the front. A loose pushchair would kill someone. Unless you can strap it in with seatbelts and rope so it doesn't move an inch then don't risk it.

Agree with the others about travel systems not that great. I think I used the car seat on our 3 wheeler about once, realised it was a PITA and made the buggy weigh a tonne then just put DS in the forward facing lie flat position.

ChippingIn Sun 12-Dec-10 19:58:08

Udderly - it's funny isn't it. nearly everyone who has 'been there, done that' will say the same thing, but when it's you that#s pregnant you somehow feel you need one or it's different for you.... 6 months later you're posting the same thing to a newly pregnant mum grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: