Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had the flu jab whilst pregnant?

(17 Posts)
Esme11 Fri 10-Dec-10 11:58:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jojosmaman Fri 10-Dec-10 12:01:53

I have and had no side effects other than an aching arm for a day or so (feels like you have been hit on the arm but there was no bruising or swelling).

Esme11 Fri 10-Dec-10 12:04:05

Amberc Fri 10-Dec-10 12:14:54

Yep - no ill effects for me. Routinely offered to PG ladies in our surgery.

glitterjo Fri 10-Dec-10 12:34:01

I was offered it and had it with absolutely no problems - a slightly achy arm, that was it. But I do think it's very much a personal choice.

spaceal Fri 10-Dec-10 13:03:43

I had the flu jab - had a bit of itching/very localised rash for a couple of days but otherwise all OK. I did worry a bit, perhaps inevitably, but feel absolutely fine about it now.

As we have potential complications, I've been seeing an amazing fetal medicine consultant so I asked her whether I should have the jab (midwife had been a bit non-committal) and, without hesitation, she said yes definitely, the risks of getting flu when pregnant are much higher than the risks of the jab. That really reassured me that it was the right thing to do.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and I had to ask surgery for it, but there was no problem.

BlueChampagne Fri 10-Dec-10 13:13:44

I had swine flu one last year when pg with DS2 - no problems.

SuiGeneris Fri 10-Dec-10 13:19:36

Yes, both normal flu and swine flu. I too was under the care of a consultant who was adamant the risk posed by flu was much higher than that of the vaccine.

faverolles Fri 10-Dec-10 13:24:07

I had mine. No problems at all.

GretnaGirl Fri 10-Dec-10 13:26:11

Yes I had the combined flu jab two weeks ago. My surgery rang and asked me if I wanted it. 1 week after the jab I felt very lethargic for a couple of days but thats all. My father in law had flu last week so I was very relieved I was protected as I see him a lot.

rubybambini Fri 10-Dec-10 13:41:58

Yes, I had one offered to me (east London practice), and took it without hesitation, as I also have kidney problems.

It was for flu, and the H1N1 virus - no ill effects, other than a minutely sore arm that only hurt when I lay on it the first night.

Esme11 Fri 10-Dec-10 13:42:46

MrsCratchit Fri 10-Dec-10 13:49:03

I had the combined one at 24 weeks- no problems. Very glad I did as several colleagues have been off work with full blown flu (I work for a health charity and am confident they all genuinely have actual flu and are not mistaking the actual thing for a bad cold), but so far this winter I've barely had a sniffle *touches all available wood*

samoy Fri 10-Dec-10 14:20:42

After much debate i had it too last week at 31 weeks, i was so worried about it but am relieved i have some protection on board. I figured i have enough trouble breathing right now without flu virus complicating things. Personal choice it is though, you will always find people for and against.

tlise Fri 10-Dec-10 21:26:25

I had the seasonal one last week. I had a sore arm but no other effects felt. I arranged to avoid virus laden places, (like school as scarlet fever is going around)but as it was it was heavy snow so I went nowhere anyway lol. They tell you to avoid for a few days as it lowers your weakened immune system further.

I did worry about it at first, but loads have had it, and was told it was inactive so that was fine.

I also read about someone recently asking if she should have it before 12 weeks, my nurse said to me she had to make sure I was over 15 weeks (which I was as I am 22 wks now).

If you work with children I would recommend it. There are a couple of children in ours, as there usually are in every class, that always have every cold going and insist on sneezing over you and coughing in your face hmm

bessie26 Fri 10-Dec-10 22:31:54

I had the seasonal flu jab at about 14wks with no ill effects.

Am planning to go back for the actual swine flu jab too (they did offer both to me at the time, but I thought 2 jabs in one day was too much!) - I had flu for the first time ever back in feb & the thought of having that while being pg scares me. (I had 5 days of high temps & was only able to get out of bed when dosed up to the max on paracetamol & ibuprofen)

cupcakebakerer Sat 11-Dec-10 14:36:53

Had one at 12 weeks, 21 weeks now. No side effects whatsoever. Not sure if I would have gotten it if not diabetic though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now