Talk

Advanced search

What does Leuc +++ mean?

(9 Posts)
janski31 Fri 10-Dec-10 11:11:07

Hi had my midwife check on wed and my urine sample says the above nothing was mentioned to me just noticed it on my notes am now 39+6.

Also I spoke to my doc about getting tested for strep b a couple of weeks ago and she said she didnt think it was necessary what are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading?

DGirlsandBoysWontGetAnyToys Fri 10-Dec-10 11:14:27

Might it stand for leukocytes? (white blood cells in the urine). Have you a UTI?

Sorry, I have no specific knowledge.

UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Fri 10-Dec-10 11:14:52

Leukocytes? They're present in urine when you have an infection but during pregnancy they're often detected without the infection. They'll monitor it I'd imagine.

However if it's more than a trace, I'd have thought they'd check for a urine infection.

No pain on weeing? Burning? Weeing more than normal? Temp?

TheChewyToffeeMum Fri 10-Dec-10 11:15:47

Leuc is short for leucocytes - these are the white cells that fight infection. +++ means quite alot were picked up in your urine. This could be due to urine infection or contamination with discharge (which is naturally high in white cells). It is usually unrelated to strep B infection which would be found on a swab.

Did you have any symptoms of urine infection eg. frequency (even more than normal for pregnancy), urgency, leaking, nausea, feverish?

Do you know of the midwife sent off a sample to the lab for culture?

UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Fri 10-Dec-10 11:15:57

I wasn't clear really. It's normal to pick up leukocytes in your urine when you're pregnant. Doesn't necessarily mean you have a uti. Ask your midwife though for reassurance.

janski31 Fri 10-Dec-10 11:16:44

No signs of a urine infection ie any of the above, maybe she sent it off to be tested.

StiffyByng Fri 10-Dec-10 16:42:42

No idea why your doctor would say not to test for strep B. I would press for that. I see no reason why it's not worth bothering to do, and lots why it is.

Hest Mon 13-Dec-10 01:00:26

Unfortunately its not routine to test for Strep B. You can get a private test for about £30 and, like StiffyByng (a PG Wodehouse fan by any chance?) I think it is worth it if you are worried considering the implications of a positive test.

I think your midwife would normally ask for another sample or send one to the lab to get double checked if you have +++ of leuc or protein in your urine. Especially late on in pregnancy, urine test results are often contaminated with increased vaginal discharge and give back results that look worrying but aren't. DO ask your midwife though - she definitely should have told you about your urine result even if there is no cause for concern to keep you informed about your health.

lucybrad Mon 13-Dec-10 09:22:49

the doctors laboratory do it, but they say between 35-37 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now