Talk

Advanced search

i cant poo!!! boo hoo

(35 Posts)
irishqueensspeech Thu 09-Dec-10 15:18:54

Seriously though i am 28 weeks today and only prob so far has been heartburn which zantac has mostly cured. Saw madwife today and she gave me some fibogel but had ran out of lactulose. Managed to get to Boots to get some on minor ailments but cant collect till tomorrow. I am well on my way to getting piles and after straining (tmi sorry) on loo for half hour managed to produce a rabbit sized pellet and some blood gross!
I had piles in previous pregnancies and really need to avoid them as best as poss. I cant get anywhere else today as partner has had to go away to work and I live in middle of snowhere.
Any top tips?
sad

QueenofDreams Thu 09-Dec-10 15:25:04

Sorry can't do more than offer sympathy. Am 38 weeks and struggling. now on iron tablets as well so only making it worse.
baby's head is really low, so any straining pushes it down on my cervix and that REALLY hurts. actually brings me out in a sweat!

HighFibreDiet Thu 09-Dec-10 15:25:34

Linseeds if you have them, other high fibre foods, avoid anything that might block you up further like eggs or white bread, loads of water to drink and try raising your feet while on the loo (so you are more in a squatting position if you see what i mean). Peppermint tea can help to relax the intestinal muscles. I sympathise though, constipation and piles are both terrible.

HighFibreDiet Thu 09-Dec-10 15:26:28

Have just re-read, and I meant use a low stool to raise your feet, not sitting on the loo with legs up smile

LeroyJethroGibbs Thu 09-Dec-10 15:30:42

Message withdrawn

irishqueensspeech Thu 09-Dec-10 15:39:31

thanks guys ... it is actually giving me the shakes and sweats not to mention the fright i got when i saw blood.
I feel so backed up its yucky.
i ate a bloody hot curry last night but now all that happens is the odd deeply disatisfying trump.
im worried the fibogel will just back me up more
Maybe i will start a poo blog to amuse myself

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 09-Dec-10 15:48:00

How about a cup of hot water or two? Just generally increasing your water intake might work.

Or some lentil soup - or a few nights of vegetarian meals (butternut squash usually works for me!).

I usually get both constipation and piles badly in pregnancy - but I've been obsessive about veg and water this time and so far so good.

discobeaver Thu 09-Dec-10 15:49:16

Sorry for you it sounds awful. I can't offer any real help, but everyone else's suggestions sound very useful.

I can offer you a terrible joke - what did the constipated mathematician do? He worked it out with a pencil.

sh77 Thu 09-Dec-10 16:22:00

I have found a solution - eat 5-6 clementines together every day. Works a treat. I haven't had any problems since. Plus, they taste and smell amazing.

Natzer Thu 09-Dec-10 16:30:18

I agree with sh77, I have been eating 5-6 satsumas per day and have been regular as clockwork, one more instant cure is either dried apricots or a load of sugar free polos or other sweets, but make sure you stay in for the evening, it can be rather explosive (sorry if TMI)

Good luck

irishqueensspeech Thu 09-Dec-10 16:54:51

tomorrows activities
make lentil soup ( i normally have homemade veg soup every night but been snowed in)
buy clementines / satsumas
pick up lactulose
drink warm water
insert pencil up bum and thumb up fanjo
report back cause you will all need more detail when the eagle has landed!
oh and to be on safe side get pile stuff on minor ailments scheme (can always use it on eyebags and channel Kate moss if required)
still maintain to partner I am a sex kitten

thanks guys

FrumpyPumpy Thu 09-Dec-10 16:57:32

Yy second the dried apricots!

Miffster Thu 09-Dec-10 17:01:23

I third the dried apricots, and you can also get some prunes (lots of corner shops seem to sell them), stick 4 or 5 of them in a mug, pour on boiling water, let it cool, drink the ensuing liquid, then eat the prunes.

Not especially nice but not that bad either.

Also, sometimes a glug of olive oil works, or a glug of olive oil followed by some cider vinegar in warm water. Desperate poo-times, desperate measures...

sarahscot Thu 09-Dec-10 18:00:21

I fourth the dried apricots, work a treat within a couple of hours.

sh77 Thu 09-Dec-10 18:35:58

Yes do let us us know how it goes with the pencil.

ariadnestar Thu 09-Dec-10 18:36:47

I think I saw someone on one of my threads mention blowing on your thumb when you're, erm, trying - put it in your mouth, form a seal and blow. Sounds completely batsh*t crazy, but it really worked for easing things along.

JimmyChoo17 Thu 09-Dec-10 18:40:33

Ha ha love the itinerary for tomorrow

Satsumas keep me regular!!

AnytimeNOW Thu 09-Dec-10 18:49:07

Thanks for the top tips ladies!...really made me chuckle grin

expectingno3 Thu 09-Dec-10 19:21:39

I can recommend dried apricots too. I read that one Mumsnetter allowed herself one cup of real coffee in the morning, and voila... Good luck

woolymindy Thu 09-Dec-10 19:29:24

What about nuts and seeds in Yoghurt - my (constipated) friend in Holland swears it has changed her life. She has linseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds with a few nuts in yoghurt (am still finishing her batch from staying here) - it is delicious and I can reliably inform you that it works a treat.

Poor you - chocolate works really well too....

irishqueensspeech Thu 09-Dec-10 20:06:50

i hate chocolate ... i am not a real woman!

Alouiseg Thu 09-Dec-10 20:11:10

Psyllium Husk capsules. Absolutely amazing and not packed with sugar unlike lactulose!

Bobby99 Thu 09-Dec-10 21:15:12

Dried apricots. Lots of them. Then don't stray far from the loo... I ate a whole packet once without really thinking it through, the effect was spectacular blush.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 09-Dec-10 21:20:03

lots of prune juice worked for me when I was pregnant with both DCs. You have my sympathies. I'm rather, ahem, anal about going and I used to get very agitated when I couldn't perform each morning....

lilly13 Thu 09-Dec-10 21:21:56

Try eating kiwis with skins. Drink probiotic yogurt (aka Mullers). Go easy on dry fruit, though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now