Talk

Advanced search

I may have been exposed to parvovirus (slapped cheek) at school, should I worry?

(5 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 08-Dec-10 19:23:57

Hi, we've had an email from school authorities and I need to contact my midwife. A colleague already has and has been told she needs a blood test and is now not allowed to join her NHS class until she's been cleared.

Obviously I will contact GP/midwife and ask for advice tomorrow (I didn't receive the email until everything was shut today)

I don't want to google as I always seem to end up on sites which spell doom and gloom, so would someone who know please just let me know if I should worry at all?

I'm 23+2, and I'm also recovering from flu and bronchitis.

Many thanks in advance

me23 Wed 08-Dec-10 19:52:13

If the exposure is after 20 weeks which I'm guessing it was fairly recent then you and baby will be fine, under 20 weeks there is a risk of miscarriage or hydrops fetalis which is a collection of fluid in tissues of the baby.

However around 60% of people will be immune anyway.

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 08-Dec-10 19:56:26

that's really helpful thank you

yes it was after 20 weeks (just)

the baby is moving as usual

if I have a blood test and it comes back positive what does that mean?

plusonemore Wed 08-Dec-10 20:08:21

i had a positive test for parvo, i had it at around 8 weeks. Between 20-26 weeks ish i had fortnightly scans where they measured the blood flow to a specific blood vessel in the babies brain. By plotting this they could tell if the baby was aneamic, he wasnt, but if he had they would have done a blood transfusion to him whilst in the womb.

It is such a common thing, in schools all the time. The chances of you not having had it already as a child (and therefore being immune) is very low so try not to worry (easier said than done)

Not sure midwives are really on the ball about this, i found my GP better, he referred me to consultant at hospital. Midwife said "isnt that what dogs get" shock

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 08-Dec-10 20:10:11

I see, thank you very much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now