Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I may have been exposed to parvovirus (slapped cheek) at school, should I worry?

(5 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 08-Dec-10 19:23:57

Hi, we've had an email from school authorities and I need to contact my midwife. A colleague already has and has been told she needs a blood test and is now not allowed to join her NHS class until she's been cleared.

Obviously I will contact GP/midwife and ask for advice tomorrow (I didn't receive the email until everything was shut today)

I don't want to google as I always seem to end up on sites which spell doom and gloom, so would someone who know please just let me know if I should worry at all?

I'm 23+2, and I'm also recovering from flu and bronchitis.

Many thanks in advance

me23 Wed 08-Dec-10 19:52:13

If the exposure is after 20 weeks which I'm guessing it was fairly recent then you and baby will be fine, under 20 weeks there is a risk of miscarriage or hydrops fetalis which is a collection of fluid in tissues of the baby.

However around 60% of people will be immune anyway.

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 08-Dec-10 19:56:26

that's really helpful thank you

yes it was after 20 weeks (just)

the baby is moving as usual

if I have a blood test and it comes back positive what does that mean?

plusonemore Wed 08-Dec-10 20:08:21

i had a positive test for parvo, i had it at around 8 weeks. Between 20-26 weeks ish i had fortnightly scans where they measured the blood flow to a specific blood vessel in the babies brain. By plotting this they could tell if the baby was aneamic, he wasnt, but if he had they would have done a blood transfusion to him whilst in the womb.

It is such a common thing, in schools all the time. The chances of you not having had it already as a child (and therefore being immune) is very low so try not to worry (easier said than done)

Not sure midwives are really on the ball about this, i found my GP better, he referred me to consultant at hospital. Midwife said "isnt that what dogs get" shock

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 08-Dec-10 20:10:11

I see, thank you very much

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: