Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

contact with chicken pox?

(9 Posts)
knackered76 Tue 07-Dec-10 19:49:12

Due to a friends on sunday. Their dd has chicken pox. My 2 have had it so not fussed about them catching it. I've had it twice but still am wondering whether to go or not. My head is telling me there is no chance of anything damaging the baby but then a small voice is niggling me! I'll be 15 weeks. What do you think?

Marne Tue 07-Dec-10 19:51:09

I wouldn't risk it.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 07-Dec-10 19:51:47

If their dd has it already, chances are that she won't be contagious by Sunday.

Saying that though, if you have any niggling doubts that you really can't shake off I'd give it a miss.

buttonmoon78 Tue 07-Dec-10 19:55:35

There is no reason for you not to go. She won't be contagious anymore. You've had it twice. You are immune.

However, you are pregnant and therefore allowed to be entirely irrational. If you're not happy going then don't!

CardyMow Tue 07-Dec-10 20:03:32

NO! Don't go! If you personally have had it twice, then that means you probably don't have any natural immunity (otherwise you would only have had it once). This will probably upset people, but the risks are great, and I should know.

In November 2008, I was 17+4 weeks pregnant when I came into contact with two toddlers in the supermarket that had obvious, still contagious, chickenpox. Two weeks later my baby was stillborn, at 19+5. Please don't risk it, it's not worth it.

Buttonmoon - someone who has had CP twice is unlikely to be immune, in fact it makes it MORE likely that they won't be.

buttonmoon78 Tue 07-Dec-10 20:07:13

My daughter has had it twice - I was told by our paed that made her immunity stronger. Medical opinions vary widely.

Unfortunately, varying opinions make no difference to your case, Loudlass and I'm deeply sorry you went through that.

Shame on the person who took contagious children to a public place.

TiggieWiggle Tue 07-Dec-10 20:18:09

Laudlass that is so sad sad.

My daughter started with chicken pox last Wednesday, I am 13 weeks pregnant after 3 miscarriages (so I'm worrying anyway). My GP re-assured me that I was immune, apparently it's in my notes that I had it in 1985 (when I was seven). He was confident that I shouldn't have any problems and didn't seem overly concerned. Hoping everything will be ok now.

knackered76 Tue 07-Dec-10 21:10:18

loudlass oh my gosh I am so sorry for your loss

I think I will go with caution and stay at home. I may or may not be being overly anxious but I would never forgive myself if something did happen.

tiggiewiggle fingers crossed all is well with you and your dd recovers soon.

ash1971 Tue 07-Dec-10 22:01:33

Don't go. I caught chicken-pox during the first trimester and had a horrible pregnancy of constant scans to check dd's growth etc plus worry about the other possible 'defects' that wouldn't be evident until after she arrived. The obs consultant's words were, "This won't be a nice pregnancy." Luckily she was ok, but there was every possibility that she wouldn't be. (Oh, and I'd been given a super dose of vaccine to try and prevent me from catching it . . .)So, best to stay safe I reckon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: