Talk

Advanced search

Kingston Hospital Advice?

(11 Posts)
Leilababyno1 Mon 06-Dec-10 23:47:57

Hi there,

I am due to give birth to my 1st baby in April 2011 at Kingston and wondered if anyone has any experience of Kingston maternity Unit? I would like to be on the Malden Suite, is there normally availability?

Thanks!

tjandpootle Mon 06-Dec-10 23:56:47

I had my DS at Kingston 4 years ago. I had my second (DD) at home so don't really have a comparison but in summary:

- Parking a nightmare. I went in on my own while my husband parked and it took him 20 minutes to find and pay for a space. I was quite far along in my labour so didn't appreciate that!

- Had one bad midwife and one excellet one. I went in too early and after telling me to go home the 'bad' one actually said to me 'if you think you're in pain now, think about coming back to the normal delivery suite rather than the Malden Suite so you can have an epidural.' I hadn't wanted an epidural and she knew this having seen by birth plan but this stayed in my mind so when I came back I said I'd changed my mind about the Malden Suite. As it turns out I was fine and didn't need anything other than gas and air so I could've had him in Malden Suite - will never forgive her for saying that. Midwife who did deliver DS was excellent though.

- No problem booking Malden Suite when I delivered.

- Post-natal care was fine but it was fairly quiet and only one other mum on ward when I was there. Can get busy though I've heard.

So mixed really. Hope that helps!

Leilababyno1 Tue 07-Dec-10 00:19:12

Thank-you! I will definitely keep that in mind.

Highlandgirl Tue 07-Dec-10 10:58:17

Due to have my baby at Kingston in Feb, so for I haven't been to the hospital at all but up at Queen's Mary's or my GP for MW checks etc.

Have you looked at the website, it's brilliant.

Those friends who had babies at Malden Suite, all said it was brilliant. So much so, one friend is thinking about returning from overseas to have her DC2 there again...!

Have heard that the parking is a nightmare!

ontow Tue 07-Dec-10 11:07:10

I've had three at kingston. Generally quite good.

First baby had complications and went daily to assessment unit, , antenatal ward, had induction, week in post natal room. Masses of midwives, doctors all very pleasant bar 1. You usually get your own post natal room which is great.

2nd baby they were very busy and it was fast labour. All fine.

3rd baby in Malden Suite and sent home after a few hours as they were packed.

Malden suite was no different to the delivery suites i was in the first couple fo times really, except the bed was by the wall. Delivery rooms as huge and plenty of space to walk around. I wouldn't have minded being in a normal delivery room again.

Midwives all very accommodating and no pressure to do anything I didn't want to do. They were happy to go along with my wishes and did advise moving positions etc if they thought it would help.

Parkign is a nightmare. I usually parked at norbiton station, or even in richmond park which is only 10 min walk.

Kiki84 Tue 07-Dec-10 11:54:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinetreeland Tue 07-Dec-10 14:13:44

Me too! I am due to have my 1st at Kingston mid Feb. So far i think I have been well looked after. But then I will see what the actual birth experience is like.

I am just worry about being turned away at the hospital during labour because it's full!

AliMidwife Tue 07-Dec-10 16:49:54

Hi girls,
Kingston's a really lovely hospital. I worked there for a year when I was a student Midwife. Very busy, but all the Midwives are so friendly you will be fine. Malden Suite is great. Lovely to be able to have a waterbirth and they have a couple postnatal rooms if you wanted to stay in for a night. Have any of you thought about having private antenatal classes? I am a midwife and myself and a colleague who work at a neighbouring hospital run private antenatal workshops in Wimbledon (6 hour all you need to know class with small groups 3-8 couples) if any of you fancy it. www.antenatalclass.net

Bicnod Tue 07-Dec-10 19:57:57

I had DS1 at Kingston in April 2009 and (all being well) will have DC2 there in July next year. DS was born in the Malden Suite. Midwives were all lovely and they let me go home 12 hours after DS was born (I hate hospitals). Food wasn't great though - make sure you bring a sarnie!

Bonnielle Tue 07-Dec-10 20:14:04

I had my 18mo DD in Kingston and found it really good. It didn't seem too busy at the time and the staff were all friendly. It's true the food isn't great so bring something nice for brekky/lunch.

Leilababyno1 Tue 07-Dec-10 22:22:00

Thank-you for all your replies. It's very reassuring to hear some recent good reports. I suddenly had second thoughts about Kingston when I came accross some excellent reviews from West Middlesex, but doesn't appear to have as many rooms as Kingston on their mid-wife led unit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now