Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Could too much movement indicate something's wrong?

(7 Posts)
Margie32 Mon 06-Dec-10 09:38:38

Hi all,

I'm 36+3 and for the last 24 hours the baby has not stopped moving. He's normally quite active anyway, but this is something else, he literally has been wriggling and kicking non-stop since yesterday morning.

I know that they usually say movement is a good sign, but I'm starting to worry that all this frenetic movement could be a sign of foetal distress. I also thought that movement slows down a bit as you get closer to the due date, but in my case the opposite is happening.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,
Margie

icd Mon 06-Dec-10 09:42:20

Hi Margie. I'd say if you worry (which you do), don't hesitate to give the midwife a call straightaway

anonMum2 Mon 06-Dec-10 10:19:43

My baby has been the same, moving too much in the last couple of weeks. But that's because I've been ill with tummy bug, the maternity unit refuses to admit me to check the baby out even though I'e got a horrible feeling about the baby moving in distress. Surely they could check me in a separate room somewhere, I have had in the past been put in a separate room for IV fluid and checked out. I've tried doctors but the doctors insist that the baby is just 'feeling' distressed because of my sickness, but not actually in distress. So the only treatment I've had is checking of my blood pressure and temperature. So frustrating. Well, moaning over.

Hope you've already had your check-up and everything is fine.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Mon 06-Dec-10 10:22:29

Hope you've managed to get this checked.

I had this with DD and never dared ask as I was terrfied of being induced. She was born absolutely fine but extremely wriggly and active, and even at 12months never stops moving.

So if all is OK, you may just be giving birth to a gymnast...

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Mon 06-Dec-10 13:50:09

I had the same worry today. 33 weeks and baby has been non stop thumping since last night. Called the midwife at lunchtime and she just said to keep an eye on it and if I get really worried they can always get me in to "have a listen". She said I could always go to the GP for them to listen in alternatively. She also said the real worry is if movements reduce. Anyway he has settled down a bit now, still getting the odd thump here and there so I think perhaps I'm worrying over nothing.

Still, OP, I hope you have been checked out/your mind is now at ease.

GrumpyFish Mon 06-Dec-10 15:52:30

This happened to me with DS at about the same point, 37 weeks I think. MW did send me into hospital and they put me on a trace for a while, all was fine. Was reassuring to get it checked out though.

GlitteryBalls Mon 06-Dec-10 16:01:18

I am almost 35 weeks, and the same thing is happening to me! Baby has been going a bit mad of late! So perhaps it's just something that happens around this time? Thing is, it never occured to me to be worried... I usually just take a lot of movement as a good sign (if slightly annoying if you're trying to watch the soaps and your bump is squirming and bouncing away)! If you are concerned though - a quick call to your MW can't hurt at all, and perhaps they can put your mind at rest. x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: