Talk

Advanced search

Weird and scary Pg symptom

(8 Posts)
MuffinMouse Fri 03-Dec-10 19:15:05

Weird pregnancy symptom: yesterday I lost part of my visual field for about an hour and a half shock

Got an urgent referral to a cons opthamologist today. He said it had nothing to do with my eyes but was due to blood vessels constricting in my brain in the vision area. Apparently due to pregnancy hormones.

All ok now. smile

Anyone else had/heard of anything similar??

Poppetonastring Fri 03-Dec-10 19:23:32

Did you lose part of the peripheral vision? I had this too. It started in pregnancy and I occasionally still get it. I was diagnosed with Migraine with Aura - but importantly without the headache part. I also get pins and needles in my hands. Apparently reasonably common, unconnected with pregancy. I was v scared the first time it happened - went to Moorfields. Had to walk out of my office clutching the rail as I had such a small sphere of vision. Now if it happens (and it does every few months) I just wait it out. Luckily its never happened whilst driving.

Hope you get this sorted out

droves Fri 03-Dec-10 19:23:54

pregnancy induced migraine ?

sometimes vision goes funny with migraines.

glad your ok.

Catz Fri 03-Dec-10 19:36:13

Yes, I had this about 15 times in my second pg but not my 1st. It tended to happen in clusters so I'd have several episodes over a couple of days then nothing for a couple of weeks. My m/w was concerned for me to have my blood pressure checked whenever it happened as can also be a symptom of high blood pressure. There was a bit of fuss working out what it was but eventually I was told the same as you by the opthamologist. It stopped after the birth (almost exactly a year ago!)

Poor you, it is very freaky when it happens and I didn't want to drive long distances/on motorways etc. I couldn't identify anything that particularly set it off, I think it was just 'one of those things'.

jasmine51 Fri 03-Dec-10 19:41:50

How pg are you?
Have you been tested for pre-eclampsia? A symptom can be visual disturbances.
Also have you had your iron levels checked? If very anaemic you can get weird visual symptoms...my vision used to turn 90 degrees and back.. felt like being in an earth quake.

MuffinMouse Fri 03-Dec-10 23:50:05

Thanks for all the feedback. It is reassuring to hear it isn't just me!

I am 19 weeks and my blood pressure is normal. I'm having regular blood tests to monitor my iron levels.

Think it was a pain free migraine. Thanks everyone.

missjackson Sat 04-Dec-10 04:12:24

Had this too, twice, in pregnancy. But only for 15 minutes. Google 'visual migraines' - no headache, but sight loss. Very strange. I found that lying down with my eyes closed helped.

mousebacon Sat 04-Dec-10 21:51:52

I had this when my DS was about 6 weeks old. Never experienced anything like it. Thought I was having a stroke but even the doctors receptionist said 'don't worry it'll be a migraine' Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now