Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What's the most embarassing thing you've had to ask your partner to help you with during your pregnancy?

(56 Posts)
Kiki84 Fri 03-Dec-10 16:18:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moomoo1967 Fri 03-Dec-10 16:21:13

my DD's father had to help me with my feminine grooming and also to put nail polish on my toes

happycamel Fri 03-Dec-10 16:22:12

I think the perineal massage is going to be blush It's his suggestion, he read it online and objectively its a good idea but I'm kind of uncomfortable about it.

DH had to clear up after me not getting to the bathroom in time and throwing up on the bed in the first trimester! My skin is terrible, worse than when I was a teenager and he insists on squeezing spots (will actually do them when I'm asleep)! I'd rather he just ignored them like I'm trying to hmm

I'd say shoes and leg shaving is small fry in comparison, feeling a bit bad for my DH now!

Kiki84 Fri 03-Dec-10 16:41:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

geekygiraffe Fri 03-Dec-10 17:12:53

Am 31 weeks, and it's lace-tying for now. Need a pedicure and can't see lady garden these days - imagine it needs some work! Feel v unfanciable already though, without asking DH to do the dirty work!!
Perineal massage sounds like one more thing that I don't need going on down there while in labour... but let me know if it works!!!

goodlifemummy Fri 03-Dec-10 17:29:25

My DH is desperate to help with lady foliage, but I can't bear the thought, so almost broke my neck trying to do it myself yesterday! I wouldn't have othered but he looked at me in the bath the other day and said "...you haven't seen down there for a while have you?"

No, I haven't, and you've just blown your chances of seeing down there any time soon dude....honestly!

Did manage to paint my toes the other day aswell - must be more bendy than I thought!

HappyAsASandboy Fri 03-Dec-10 17:34:04

Most embarassing thing was definately shaving the bikini line pre-CS. Cried all the way through cos was so embarassing sad

sarahscot Fri 03-Dec-10 18:29:00

geekygiraffe, perineal massage isn't something you do during labour, you do it in the months leading up to it to reduce chances of tearing.

TooImmature2BMum Fri 03-Dec-10 18:29:06

DH helps me to Veet my bikini line...blush In my defence, it was his idea after I tried once and missed a lot - and that was a month ago when bump was smaller. Am still managing to shave my own legs though! Only 27+1, though, so probably lots to come yet.

NeedToSleepZZZ Fri 03-Dec-10 18:30:03

I shaved my lady forest last week and asked OH if it was straight (cannot see a thing!), he just giggled and offered to do it for me next time to which I said no and there's no chance he's getting another look! Hope I don't have to have any internal exams anytime soon as god knows what I've done down there blush. I'm going to try the perineal massage tonight as he's at work.

I'm still painting my toenails though <<proud emoticon>>

jellyhead188 Fri 03-Dec-10 18:35:31

I had to get him help me put my knickers on as couldn't bend over far enough to do it!

AlpinePony Fri 03-Dec-10 18:45:04

Had my boyfriend carry my catheter bag as I waddled to the loo because I really wanted a poo. He had to stay with me in the toilet.

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Fri 03-Dec-10 21:09:34

He helps me put my shoes on, hoists me out of the bath, hoists me up off the sofa (I get stuck - it's too comfy! grin), helps me get undressed if I can't get my leggings off, and he has shaved my legs for me. I am 32 weeks pg and he is completely wonderful. He also does all the cooking and cleaning but that is mostly because I'm too lazy tired.

DuelingFanjo Fri 03-Dec-10 21:11:10

Nothing really, unless you count me having to direct him when moving furniture which I hated. I don't shave my legs or my other bits so not needed him for that. So far I am still managing to get my own shoes and socks on at almost 39 weeks.

However, I am not looking forward to him seeing me in Labour grin

MarkStretch Fri 03-Dec-10 21:12:49

Shaved my pubes for me pre-CS.

Helped me remove my dressings post-CS.

Accompanied me to the toilet numerous times whilst still on the ward and hold the baby while I attempted to piss into a jug.

Childbirth is so glamorous...

Beveridge Fri 03-Dec-10 21:22:26

Worst thing wasn't during pregnancy but was a few days after having DD...a combination of forceps (which meant non-existent pelvic floor muscles at the time) and a course of antibiotics meant I suddenly felt I was about to have an upset stomach so rushed off to the loo but at the top of the first flight of stairs I couldn't actually hold it in. blush

And DH cleaned it up while I got in the bath and cleaned myself up blush blush

I'm still mortified every time I think about it.blush DH really wasn't bothered, I think after seeing me in labour nothing really phased him.

I also know of people who had to get their DPs to apply/insert cream for their piles!

CardyMow Fri 03-Dec-10 21:23:40

What I'm about to ask DP to help with tomorrow...I'm 33+5 today, and am bigger than I've ever been (pg with dc4)...and I know my lady jungle garden needs mowing. I last attempted it with the aid of mirrors and acrobatics at 24 weeks. I don't want to ask, but am going to have to before my pubes reach my knees!

AnyFuleSno Fri 03-Dec-10 21:31:03

why the fuck are you all shaving your pubes off fgs? if my dh told me I needed to tidy up I'd kick him a new cock hole

DuelingFanjo Fri 03-Dec-10 21:37:00

I agree AnyFukeSno, my mate told me today to 'tidy yourself up now' justincase I needed stitches confused

ReshapeWhileDamp Fri 03-Dec-10 21:44:50

Agree with AnyFuleKno - I just asked my DH if the sight of my untended lady jungle offended him, and he looked hmm at the idea that there were DHs in the world who'd be rude, insensitive or shallow enough to insist on a tidy-up when their partner was extremely pregnant. (or any other time, come to that.) Pubes are part of me. I only take off what won't fit into a swimming costume, and DH couldn't give a toss.

I love him. smile

tiredandgrumpy Fri 03-Dec-10 21:49:29

Felt very proud that after ds was born by emcs (and therefore I couldn't drive) I sent dh out to buy glycerin suppositories, nipple cream and maternity pads! He came back with the lot.

Muser Fri 03-Dec-10 21:52:41

I rarely tidied my bits when I wasn't pregnant. Fuckit if I'm going to start caring now. As for shaving legs, it's winter and maternity leggings are comfier and warmer than maternity tights. Grow hair grow.

Muser Fri 03-Dec-10 21:54:31

Husband is also already well practiced in buying all sorts of feminine hygiene products. He bought the pregnancy test.

Personally, I think carrying a catheter is winning at the moment. Now that's love grin

LowLevelBahHumbug Fri 03-Dec-10 21:57:30

Not during pregnancy but immediately after....

First shower after emergency CS. Dp helped me get undressed, including removal of very bloody knickers and pad shock (that's love I tells ya!)

Not long after that at the height of post-section constipation...on the loo one day it got, er, stuck. I mean REALLY stuck. Struggling to push properly because of fresh CS wound, but I was sat there so long that I ALMOST shouted for DP to help. ALMOST.

help?? WTF?? What would he have done???? shock

I'll leave that there.

And no. Pube topiary is the least of your worries.

RockLovesMincePies Fri 03-Dec-10 22:02:48

Well I don't really do maintenance with my lady bits, dp really didn't care before pregnancy and doesn't care now.

Must admit my leg shaving routine has suffered alarmingly, but again dp really isn't that offended by my female hair growth, god love him.

What dp does for me is take my boots off, I really struggle with that and he has to pull me off the sofa as well.

And he never complains when he comes in from work and I have done sod all housework during the day because I haven't felt like it [slattern emoticon]. That is what I find most embarrassing actually, that some days I cannot even bring myself to do the washing up depending on how crap I feel.

He is a saint!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: