Talk

Advanced search

first scan at 13+4

(7 Posts)
BeautifulBlondePineapple Fri 03-Dec-10 14:57:59

Hi,
I've been scheduled in for my first antenatal appointment (including scan) on Wed 5th Jan when I will be 13+4. I thought the nuchal scan & blood test had to be done before 13 weeks.

I'm 36 and definitely want all the tests available this time round.

Can anyone advise if this is within the right timeframe for the nuchal scan & tests?

thank you!

Baublepink Fri 03-Dec-10 15:05:34

Love your name! smile

I'm not a medical professional so I only know what I've been told myself rather than knowing it as fact as such smile however AFAIK, the nuchal scan can be done from 11 weeks to 13+6 so you are (just) in the timeframe. Hope someone comes along who can verify this. The blood test for Down's etc is (again AFAIK) taken at 16 weeks. When you have a booking in scan they do take blood from you, but this is more to do with you ie checking for things like hepititus, rubella immunity, etc, than checking any potential problems with the baby at that stage.

If you are worried you can get a private scan done whenever you want, although you would have to pay.

Baublepink Fri 03-Dec-10 15:06:40

Sorry - when you have a booking in appointment, not scan.

BeautifulBlondePineapple Fri 03-Dec-10 15:08:13

Thanks for your reply. It's such a bummer that the crucial time is over the Christmas hols!

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Fri 03-Dec-10 15:13:49

Just googled it for you and apparently they scan etc should be done before 14 weeks so 13+6 at the latest. So basically Bauble is right grin aww what a lovely Christmas your going to have, seeing your baby for the first time

youngblowfish Fri 03-Dec-10 15:38:45

I had my scan at exactly the same time and they could do all the measurements without any trouble at all. AFAIK, getting an accurate result actually depends on the CRL, so providing you got your dates right, the baby is likely to still be small enough for the sonographer to measure the nuchal fold. Good luck, hope it all goes well!

lilly13 Fri 03-Dec-10 16:17:08

the lastest these can be done is 13+6... if you are not sure about your due date (when exactly you ovulated and conceived), why don't you push them to book you a couple of days earlier, just in case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now