Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

high blood pressure - is it subjective?

(6 Posts)
nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Fri 03-Dec-10 10:43:31

I have always had fairly low blood pressure - the sort that always gets commented on at the Drs but doesn't seem to cause any problems.

At the begining of this pregnancy it was 85/63 it has steadily increased and now at 25 weeks it is 121/74.

I have been feeling quite grotty: tired, thirsty, headaches, short of breath. Some of this is due to aneamia which I am now being treated for but do I need to be concerned about my BP?

Obviously it is high for me but below what is considered objectively high. Is this an issue?

happycamel Fri 03-Dec-10 10:51:40

One hundred plus your age for the systolic (top) figure up to 140. For diastolic (bottom) figure aiming for up to 85.

That's standard, not sure about if the limits change for pregnant women.

So your figure looks fine.

LittleB Fri 03-Dec-10 10:53:29

I think if its grdually increased its not a problem, but ask your gp/mw if you're worried.
Last pg I had low BP and dizzy spells, was around 80/50, then when 38wks it suddenly jumped up to 120/70 (but it had been 90/60 2 weeks before) that did concern my gp who got the midwife to keep a closer eye on me, but I did start the latent stage of labour the next day, and the day before I'd just heard my grandmother was critically ill so I think it was all linked.
This time it was around 90/60 for the first few mths and has gradually crept up since, it was 130/70 earlier this week (now 36wks) but they're not worried as its been a gradual increase.
Interestingly I read that folic acid can lower your bp, last pg I took it all the way through, this pg I stopped it at about 15wks so that would confirm what I read.

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Fri 03-Dec-10 11:38:41

Thanks - that is reassuring.

tlise Fri 03-Dec-10 13:14:52

have you mentioned that to your GP? I had all those symptoms when I went to my doc who then discovered I had high BP, but mine was a lot higher. I know the bottom number was 120 but the top was something like 150-160. It used to be always round 120/80 and I hadn't done anything to change it cos have always been overweight since having eldest 17 years ago. I don't think looking at yours it is high, but maybe it could even be your body's way of reacting to the fact its changed?

OP I hadn't noticed a diff using folic acid, as I have to admit, I am taking 3 tablets for bp, plus ones for stomach and now aspirin, so kept forgetting, but thats interesting. It is in my multi vit which I should be taking, but seeing as everything wants taking with food there are only so many times a day I can eat lol. Mine always goes down in pregnancy anyway till the end. My doc says I can't use that as a way to keep it down though funnily enough :D

podmumlet Fri 03-Dec-10 14:04:53

I have a lower than normal blood pressure too which has risen during pregnancy (but within normal limits).

My midwife made a point of mentioning that it the percentage rise from what is your 'normal' BP is as important as the overall reading at any given time.

Worth checking this out with your midwife, and wishing you a lovely pregnancy...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: