Talk

Advanced search

Living abroad/ returning to UK for birth... advice needed (long!)

(7 Posts)
lulu1414 Fri 03-Dec-10 06:16:56

I know this has been done before, but I can't seem to find the specific information necessary. I would be grateful if anyone has experienced this could let me know how it works... I moved abroad in mid June, but was still working remotely for a UK company until November and, thus, was paying NI contribution. I moved abroad as my husband is working in our new country (not for a UK company). We plan to move back to the UK and have a house we are renting out, but will likely be here for another couple of years.

I would hope to return to the UK in the summer (if all goes well) to have my baby. I had severe complications with my first pregnancy and ended up in hospital for some time. Both my child and I were very ill due to early onset pre-eclampsia. I considered having the baby where I am, but I don't have confidence that I would get adequate care if something went wrong. In addition I have suffered 3 miscarriages, so have had a bit of a rough time lately. I have a brilliant GP in the UK and the care I received during my difficult pregnancy was second to none. I would just feel better if I knew I was in good hands. I had planned on returning to the UK for a few months in the summer in any case. So... I just don't know if I can do this. Am I entitled to NHS access? I am paying voluntary NI contribution, but does this change anything? I know I can ask my GP, but she is away for a month. I am still registered with my GP but I don't want to do anything dishonest.

Also, how do I ensure that I am "in the system"?

Thanks for your help. It may all be redundant as I am newly pregnant and as I said it has all gone wrong so many times before...

japhrimel Fri 03-Dec-10 06:56:30

Are you British?

If you're only moving back to the UK in the summer, you won't get your scans, etc done here and you won't be able to get registered with a CMW or booked into a hospital until you get back. What if you develop complications before then?

EldonAve Fri 03-Dec-10 07:01:00

info here

frakkinup Fri 03-Dec-10 08:27:39

It's based on residency and from what you said you wouldn't meet the criteria so would be charged.

You can't get into the system if you're abroad. There was a slim chance we might have been back in the UK at 7 months and I wanted to know whether I could preemptively book in rather than deal with transferring notes, translating them and taking my chances on where could fit me in but it's a no go. I'm also still registered with my GP but it can't be done unless you fancy coming back and forth for all your maternity care! Moot point in my case but there's nothing they can do unless you shuttle back and forth (which in my case is a 10 hour flight).

Where are you and why do you feel care wouldn't be adequate? Is there an American or other expat hospital near you?

sh77 Fri 03-Dec-10 08:33:13

Congratulations on your pregnancy and hope all goes well for you this time.

We were in a similar(ish) situation. Husband was contracted out to work in Germany and we lived there for 2 years. I became pregnant and wanted my care in the UK. I just flew in and out for ante-natal and then headed back 2 months before birth. Obviously, I don't know if you are in Europe, which makes the travel easier. I understand this may not be hard for you given that you will probably be treated as high-risk and so have more appointments.

lulu1414 Fri 03-Dec-10 09:31:39

Thanks for your help. Yes, I am British. I have lived in the UK for over 10 years consecutively until leaving in June. However, I have been back and forth a number of times since then. I had planned on going back for booking appointment and nuchal/ triple test. could easily go back for the main appointments/ scans.

Sh77- your situation is similar- I planned to go back and forth, if possible and head back 2 months or so before.

sh77 Fri 03-Dec-10 09:57:47

Lulu - I think there is nothing to worry about in that case. I always gave my permanent address as being in the UK and told my docs that I was travelling back and forth. They didn't seem to care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now