Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotics and late pregnancy.

(9 Posts)
CardyMow Thu 02-Dec-10 21:51:42

I am 33+4 weeks pregnant. I have a chest infection, and because I was seriously ill in February with pneumonia, my GP has put me straight onto AB's. The problem is that I am severely allergic to Penicillin, amoxycillin, Erythmoricin and clarythmoricin and I also cannot take any 'quino' AB's as they are contraindicated when you have epilepsy (I like to be complicated grin). So the GP has put me on Cefalexin 500mg, 3 times a day, for 7 days. But the patient information leaflet with it says to talk to your GP before taking them if you are pregnant. confused. Now I'm taking them, because it really is the only AB my GP could find that I am not allergic to, that doesn't interact badly with my epilepsy, and is OK to take during pregnancy.

But I'm worried about any possible side effects if it says you must speak to your GP/pharmacist before taking these tablets if you are pregnant! Am I doing the right thing by taking them (I do feel like death warmed up, and like I may well cough this baby out, and am bloody petrified of getting pneumonia again, I nearly died in Feb)

mrsbigw Thu 02-Dec-10 21:56:22

Yes take them you are doing the right thing.

I think every medication has that warning on the leaflet & GPs on't usually prescribe without good reason in pregnancy.

I was given the same medication today by a GP & I'm sure that taking them is the best thing to do as maternal illness can be very damaging to unborn babies.

Sorry you have been so poorly though x

mrsbigw Thu 02-Dec-10 21:57:00

#don't NOT on't!

CardyMow Thu 02-Dec-10 22:06:03

Thank you for the reassurance! How far along are you?

mrsbigw Thu 02-Dec-10 22:16:23

You're welcome, I'm only 15 weeks & this is my 2nd urinary tract infection so far. The GP was quite insistant that I needed antibiotics, he specifically said that Cefalexin were safe for use in pregnancy & I believe him because he seemed lovely as well as being a Dr wink

CardyMow Thu 02-Dec-10 22:40:31

Congratulations! (on being 15 wks I mean, not for the UTI!). I think it's because I've had problems with meds this GP has rescribed before in other situations that got me worried.

mrsbigw Fri 03-Dec-10 20:25:05

grin at my UTI achievevments!

Yes that would dent your confidence in any Dr if you have had previous problems with meds. Think this is pretty run of the mill stuff though so hopefully you will be on the mend soon.

tempertemper Fri 03-Dec-10 20:31:09

Cefalexin is fine in pregnancy (I am a dr).

I'm sure the leaflets have this disclaimer for when people give left over prescription drugs to friends when they are ill. But the BNF is pretty clear about what is OK to use and Cefalexin is one of the first line choices.

CardyMow Fri 03-Dec-10 21:04:40

Thank you. I have been so careful this pregnancy (I had a late MC at 19+5 in my last pg), that even though I am dying unwell, I'm trying not to take too much paracetamol even. I just don't want to do anything that will hurt this baby. Am glad to know GP hasn't got it wrong this time.

The previous roblem was with an epilepsy med I should never have been prescribed due to a) family history and b) personal history, and it gave me manic depression for the time I was taking it (totally fine since off it!) AND damaged my eripheral vision permanantly. Bloody Topamax! (But he had been my GP for 4 yrs when he prescribed that and should have known not to because of history). No Neuro here, so all has to be handled by GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now