Talk

Advanced search

Itchy skin

(10 Posts)
Bensmum76 Thu 02-Dec-10 18:45:26

Hi all
I'm 28 weeks pregnant with no 2 and for the last few evenings have had itchy skin. It seems to move all over my body, nice I've scratched one place the itch moves somewhere else. It seems to only by from 6pm until around 11 pm. I was at the cinema last night and scratched my way through Harry Potter but by the time I got home and got into bed at 11 I'd stopped itching.
Should I be concerned? Any advice?

japhrimel Thu 02-Dec-10 19:21:52

Yes, you need to see your MW or GP and get liver tests done - preferably both LFTs (liver function tests) and Bile Acid levels.

Obstetric Cholestasis (OC) is a potentially very serious pregnancy complication that causes itching with no rash. Itching that is worse in the evening and/or at night is a pointer towards it being OC, so definitely mention that bit.

If the tests come back negative, it doesn't mean a lot as symptoms usually precede positive test results, sometimes by weeks. You need to get retested every 7-10 days while the itching continues. The earlier OC is caught, the better it can be controlled and so the less risk there is.

It's not something to panic/rush about as chances are that the first set of blood tests will be negative anyway, but do make sure it is taken seriously.

geekygiraffe Thu 02-Dec-10 19:26:15

I'm 31 weeks and a bit rashy and itchy too (only on right boob, and mainly at night!). Mentioned it to MW and she said nothing to worry about unless it appears on hands and feet. Advised calamine (sp?) lotion, and a GP visit if that doesn't work.

japhrimel Thu 02-Dec-10 19:29:38

OC itching can occur all over, but typically starts or is worse on the hands/feet (and arms/legs). It doesn't have a rash with it though.

geekygiraffe Thu 02-Dec-10 19:34:57

I just have scabby old rash then. The joys of pregnancy : )

MrsCratchit Thu 02-Dec-10 19:41:17

Coming into a warm house from the cold can cause the itchiness.

buttercup123 Thu 02-Dec-10 19:53:03

I have the scabby rash too! I got the itching about three weeks ago (when I was 21 weeks), and it then turned into a rash ALL over my body after about a week. It drove me absolutely bonkers. I went to the GP, and it isn't OC, and liver tests all fine. She did say it was pretty common though - and gave me antihistamines for it. I did ALOT of reading and talking to people, and it was fine to take the (prescribed) antihistamines.

My advice - if this is driving you to distraction, go to a GP and get some help (and you should get the tests done anyway, as japhrimel pointed out). If it isn't OC and it's not so bad, the other things that help are calamine, but also Aveena moisturiser is a godsend - great all over moisturiser which I have applied day and night, plus they have this great bath powder. Most important (and frustrating) thing is not to itch - that spreads the rash. Still, if you can manage to resist itching, you're a better woman than me...

buttercup123 Thu 02-Dec-10 19:53:34

Oh and it's call PUPPPs, if you want to google it...

Bensmum76 Fri 03-Dec-10 13:37:30

Thanks guys. I was thinking it could have been due to due to having the heating on so much this last week,plus I do have quite sensitive skin anyway.
It was much better last night so will it a few days and see how it is.
Thanks again xx

CrazyChristmasLady Fri 03-Dec-10 20:39:28

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. My arms and legs are soooo itchy, then it was my hands, worse at night. Pretty much signs of OC.

Had my MW appointment and she sent me up the hospital to have bloods done. Had to wait 4 hours. It is an allergic reaction (but they don't know to what). I am covered in a rash where I have been digging my skin, mainly at night so I am taking Piriton.

Its the soles of your hands and feet that you need to worry about with OC. Apparently, itching like this in pregnancy is pretty common, especially if when you scratch it comes up in little bumps as if you had brushed against stinging nettles, that shows it is an allergic itch, not a result of OC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now