Talk

Advanced search

Estimated baby weight.....

(13 Posts)
MissCKitty Thu 02-Dec-10 13:57:59

Had a growth scan today at 31+5 and they are estimating baby at 4lbs. What are other peoples'estimated baby weights around this stage? Is it normal or am I having a big'un? lol grin What approx would that make her her final birth weight?

CTJ82 Thu 02-Dec-10 20:31:03

If you have a look in your green notes there should be a individualised growth chart that the MW should update every time you get measured - on that chart there is a trajectory line that gives the estimated birth weight.

sotough Thu 02-Dec-10 21:13:21

hi there
i had a growth scan last week, at 33 weeks, and mine was 4.8lb; they estimated the final weight would be between 7.7 and just under 8lb. not sure if that's any help but sounds like yours is about the same given you are a couple of weeks behind me...

FloraPost Thu 02-Dec-10 22:26:54

I also had a growth scan today (31+6) and the estimate was 3.3lb.

BagofHolly Thu 02-Dec-10 23:47:39

I had a scan today, am 32+2 and one twin is 4lb 8oz and the other is 5lb 8oz. In my scan notes there are charts to show what centile they're on for each perameter they measure. The sonographer said add half a pound a week each baby till term to get a rough idea of estimated delivery weight.

Kiki84 Fri 03-Dec-10 10:12:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BagofHolly Fri 03-Dec-10 11:26:17

That might be normal Kiki - we have scans at 12 and 20 weeks as standard here and all the measurements on each. I get extra cos it's twins.

Snowfalls108 Fri 03-Dec-10 11:53:29

Growth scans can be horribly inaccurate.
I had a friend who told her baby was average size, so would be around 7-8lbs and ended up 10lbs 7!

FloraPost Fri 03-Dec-10 14:14:25

Don't worry Kiki, I only get them because there was some concern about growth rate. They aren't routinely offered here.

RibenaBerry Fri 03-Dec-10 14:17:01

What Snowballs said. I have two friends who were told that they were having huge babies and given dire warnings about sections. One was just over 7lbs and one just under. Another friend was told tiny and ended up with a 9lber.

Seems to me that it's only marginally more reliable than 'feel the bump and guess'. Although I am well aware that the plural of anecdote is not data.

CheeseChomper Fri 03-Dec-10 14:17:22

I had a scan at 29 weeks exactly and baby was estimated at 3 pounds smile

onimolap Fri 03-Dec-10 14:30:12

Scans can't tell you the weight of the baby.

They can tell you its size by measuring length/circumference of various parts of the body - and then they can use averaged data sets to make onwards predictions. It's very inaccurate.

MissCKitty Fri 03-Dec-10 20:05:28

onimolap I am aware that the scan won't give me exact baby weight. I know that its an estimation based on a collection of measurements. However what I was asking was what other women had experienced in relation to having a growth scan done at this stage and what their baby actually weighed in at.

kiki I am a type 1 diabetic so because of the risk of larger babies for diabetic moms I am having regular growth scans to determine whether I go full term or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now