Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Doctor or midwife?

(11 Posts)
gallicgirl Thu 02-Dec-10 09:26:26

I've been suffering with hip and lower back pain at 33 weeks. I feel this is skeletal and it's got to the point where I've had to take time off work as difficult to walk far or to sit for too long.

Question is though, is this a problem I should be seeing my midwife about or my doctor and is there likely to be any treatment or is it just one of those pregnancy things I should put up with?

corblimeymadam Thu 02-Dec-10 09:28:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheChewyToffeeMum Thu 02-Dec-10 09:29:05

Either should be able to refer you physio which is probably what you need.
You will need to see your GP if you have to get signed off work though.

gallicgirl Thu 02-Dec-10 09:35:29

My sister suggested an osteopath as well. Is that something I'd have to arrange myself?

I'll give the clinic a ring and see if they're managing to get open today.

CrazyChristmasLady Thu 02-Dec-10 09:39:00

See your doctor and they can refer you.

I had back pain from 16 weeks with DS. My doctor referred me for physio and they gave me a support belt. Was fantastic.

japhrimel Thu 02-Dec-10 11:13:10

Either should be able to refer you for physio, but I'm not sure that a MW could sign you off.

Osteopaths are private only. I get specialist massage, but that's private too.

cotswolder Thu 02-Dec-10 11:28:50

sounds like pelvic girdle pain.

I'm 34 weeks and have similar thing. Saw physio at hospital this morning as previous md said I could self refer although other areas may be different.

You can get basic support tubigrip from hosiptal and a set of excersises. They also taught me better ways to stand, move etc which I will be putting into practice.

as to your question - i was told it effects about 20% pregnant ladies to differing extents and no its not something you should just put up with as it can be managed.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 02-Dec-10 11:33:42

Physio was great, my midwife referred me. GP was useless - told me what it was but then said to "type it into google to see what exercises are recommended" hmm Told my midwife who wasn't v impressed and she knew that there was a special drop-in clinic at the hospital specifically run by physios for pelvic/hip problems in pregnancy

Mine was an issue with the sacro-iliac joint and physio really helped

gallicgirl Thu 02-Dec-10 17:25:52

So although the doc was very nice and sympathetic, he wasn't much use.

Firstly he didn't quite believe I was 33 weeks until I showed him my bump. I thought it was quite big but it must have looked small under my fluffy sweater.

He reckons it's just the pregnancy hormones softening the pelvis ready for delivery. he gave me a prescription for paracetamol shock and told me to see my midwife for a leaflet on suitable exercises.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 02-Dec-10 17:34:50

GP is useless, like mine. Speak to your midwife, you might be lucky and there's a dropin thing like there was for me. I also got a referral. GP had implied it would get worse through pregnancy and I'd just have to live with it (I was about 24 weeks and limping with it already) when actually midwife and physio explained it ebbs and flows with hormones and lots of things you can do to help yourself.

Get on to your midwife.

And good advice (that made me smirk when midwife said it) was to keep knees together (getting in/out of car, rolling over in bed, etc).

gallicgirl Thu 02-Dec-10 18:08:50

She's on holiday this week apparently but I'll call next week and see what she can do.

It does ebb and flow as you say so perhaps didn't gte over to the doc how much it does hurt when it's bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: