Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Heated tens machine labour?

(6 Posts)
MrsZebra Thu 02-Dec-10 07:33:08

Hi
A friend has lent me her heated tens machine (Lloyds pharmacy). I was reading through the instructions and it says not for use in labour. Does anyone know why? Don't they all work in the same way?

cece Thu 02-Dec-10 07:36:32

You can't use an ordinary TENS machine during labour you have to have a proper obstetrics one. No idea why. But I would think the heating bit wouldn't be great!

japhrimel Thu 02-Dec-10 08:53:43

Afaik, the main difference is that the birth-specific ones have pulse buttons for contractions.

cece Thu 02-Dec-10 09:32:33

YOu can hire them for quite a reasonable price. Try Lloyds or Boots or there a lot of online companies.

goodlifemummy Thu 02-Dec-10 10:36:19

I got my Lloyds one off ebay for £23, they hire them out for £30, so I reckon its worth buying and then ebaying it myself - they are popular for bidding on though! It is a specific labour tens machine with the pulse button.

slimyak Thu 02-Dec-10 10:48:22

As others have said TENS for labour pulse and have more controls for instant boosts. The other ones are for managing general back pain. IN labour, especially if you're in an over heated hospital you may find the hested element annoying and the lack of boost makes the ordinary machine a bit pointless.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: