Talk

Advanced search

Is Brie made with pasteurised milk ok?

(13 Posts)
jellyhead188 Wed 01-Dec-10 18:44:39

I am missing Brie!!! I keep seeing it made with pastuerised milk is it ok to eat it?

Ta x

tattyteddy Wed 01-Dec-10 19:08:01

Sorry jellyhead,

I think you can't eat it even if it's pasteurised, according to food standards agency.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/agesandstages/pre gnancy/

GlitteryBalls Wed 01-Dec-10 19:11:45

Really? I would have thought pasteurised milk wouldn't allow it to form the mould rind that it has. Not sure really. I was under the impression that you can't have any mould-ripened cheese and that brie is mould-ripened. x

spidookly Wed 01-Dec-10 19:16:34

The MNer you need to speak to is sweetkitty - she is the expert in this area.

As I understand it your problem is soft cheeses, not pasteurisation.

It's the softness of the cheese that makes it a breeding ground for listeria, and that's what you're trying to avoid as listeria can cross the placenta.

If you don't have a placenta yet, maybe it would be OK, but you probably wouldn't want to eat anything other than sausage sandwiches at that stage.

Also - Listeria is really, really rare. I think it's one of those risks where the likelihood is low, but the outcome devastating.

japhrimel Wed 01-Dec-10 22:04:18

No, it's not okay. Listeria gets in during the ripening process, so whether or not the milk that the cheese is made from is pasteurised isn't relevant to the listeria risk.

LisMcA Wed 01-Dec-10 23:13:45

I've been told if its baked/cooked to at least 80 degrees C for 2 minutes that kills listeria.

I've had blue cheese in a sauce since I found out it was ok if cooked.

HTH

yellowmo Thu 02-Dec-10 07:49:53

I've heard the same... I think we can have it if it's cooked.... I lurve Brie!!! As long it all reaches above 75degrees then it should destroy all bacteria??? Pur-lease someone can you confirm this?!!!!

jellyhead188 Thu 02-Dec-10 09:02:34

Thanks guys, I'll steer clear then still only 21 weeks to go till I can eat it again!!!

GlitteryBalls Thu 02-Dec-10 11:58:59

I'm gutted about not being able to demolish the cheese board this xmas. I'm a veggie, so I lurve my cheese. Luckily I've never been a huge fan of blue cheeses, but I love a bit of Brie or extra stinky camembert... smile

8rubberduckies Thu 02-Dec-10 13:13:51

I can confirm cooking cheese kills any listeria, so as long as you eat it still piping hot it's all systems go. Hot baked camembert in a box and crusty bread anyone?

My cheeseboard this Christmas will have some artisan hard cheese, young non-rinded goats cheese (the type you get in a log in a little plastic moulded case) and Boursin on it... Second best to some Stilton and brie I know, but still, num num!

spidookly Thu 02-Dec-10 18:21:53

Loving 8rub's proper cheese nerd pregnancy cheese board

you should start a business doing that - cheese boards for all your dietary restriction needs.

You could call it Cheesed Off!

MedicalEd Thu 02-Dec-10 19:24:36

I asked the British Cheese Board about this and its a no, its the high water content that means listeria can breed in it even if it is pasteurised.
Cooking it though is fine.

8rubberduckies Thu 02-Dec-10 20:33:19

grin spidookly at the cheese company idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now