Talk

Advanced search

32 weeks, full of a cold, can't breath or sleep now. Help?

(11 Posts)
Ladyopheliastar Wed 01-Dec-10 18:18:17

I know we can't take hardly anything, but I need to sleep! Suggestions anyone?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 01-Dec-10 18:30:41

Lady, have you tried putting a couple of menthol crystals in a bowl of steaming water and breathing the steam? I know its an old fashioned thing but it really does help you breath. Olbas is also good. Can you take paracetamol?

rudbekia Wed 01-Dec-10 19:30:58

agree - old fashioned steam inhalations are very, very effective. you can dissolve some vicks rub in hot water if you've got it. just the hot steam will help. keep yourself propped up; hot drinks esp. juice will help make your nose run. standard mentholated sweets are also ok. you could also try a hot face-cloth over your forehead and eyes...good luck.

tingelingle Wed 01-Dec-10 20:11:42

32 weeks myself and know how you feel. My sinuses seem to get really congested in pregnancy. I put Vicks directly onto the skin under my nose. It smarts a bit, but not unpleasantly and lasts until I wake up for the inevitable wee, when I reapply. It also adds to the overall glamourous look of pregnancy.

Get well soon.

GruffalosGirl Wed 01-Dec-10 21:24:29

You can also use saline nose drops - they're for babies in the chemist. They're not great but they're better than nothing.

I use the DS's snufflebabes and olbas oil - it's better than nothing but still not great. I feel your pain, I'm full of cold myself. Hope you're better soon

kelly2525 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:55:58

Ive been spraying otrivine up my nose, it says to ask a doctor before taking, not that you shouldnt take it, but at 34 weeks, i have taken it and its made me feel so much better

japhrimel Wed 01-Dec-10 21:58:21

Steam inhalations - it's what the DAU told me to do when I was getting awful sinus headaches with a cold.

pinkpeony Thu 02-Dec-10 09:46:32

Olbas pastilles - worked wonders for me, would take one going to bed, and when awoke at night because couldn't breathe, would take another one and go back to sleep. Safe in pregnancy.

upturnj Thu 02-Dec-10 11:09:47

hi, i'm 38wks and my cold started 5 wks ago. Tried everything but couldn't shift it, now have bronchitis and I'm on antibiotics. If it doesn't clear up in a few days then go and see your doctor. Don't suffer for weeks and allow it to get worse like silly me!

LisMcA Thu 02-Dec-10 11:59:43

Olbas Oil on a hanky and a couple of drops on you pillow at night. God send!

I also used a 4Head stick, it's really soothing, cools on your forehead! used to use it when I had hangovers

Paracetamol is safe to take in pregnancy (contrary to recent "study" results). you could start by taking half a tablet, sometimes thats enough to give a bit of relief to get some sleep.

Get well soon grin

Fleurey Thu 02-Dec-10 16:54:07

just recovered from dreaded cough cold and sinusitus myself- takes ages to throw off- not sleeping was the worst. Doctor told me to snort warm salt water. Not pleasant but soon got the knack - called nasal irrigation I think. Clears all the stuff at the top and did it just before bed so could breath through nose - luxury ! Odd but effective !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now