Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I was an idiot and crashed my car... please stay off the ice!

(11 Posts)
diyqueen Wed 01-Dec-10 16:17:50

Just to share my stupidity in case it encourages others not to do the same...! I managed to crash my car on the way to work this morning after skidding on an icy road - I am ok thankfully, but it could have been a lot worse (was driving quite slowly as I could see ice patches, managed to skid down a shallow ditch and into a hedge backwards rather than nose first into one of the many big trees along the road). I thought I'd be fine as I'm a pretty careful and confident driver and don't like to make a fuss about a bit of bad weather, but have to say I feel really shaken up now, thinking how lucky I (and the baby - I'm 24 weeks) was not to come off worse. And it's not so important, but my poor car will be in the garage for 2 weeks having its crumpled backside fixed sad, leaving me with the problem of finding another way to get to work through the snow and ice in the meantime (can't work from home)...

So if you're another person who has to drive for work, please don't be gung-ho like me, try and stick to main roads you know are gritted and avoid any journeys to more remote places. Just though I'd share in case others are thinking about driving on icy roads...

lilacblossom Wed 01-Dec-10 16:23:23

Oh, you poor thing...hope you are OK!

Bushymoo Wed 01-Dec-10 16:38:54

Sounds scary, glad you're both ok!

PaigeTurner Wed 01-Dec-10 17:14:10

Glad you are ok.

I once wrote off my car going about 5mph along an icy road - went over a speed bump and then pinballed along the parked cars either side of the road sad.

I'm not driving anywhere til the snow's gone!

PGWomble Wed 01-Dec-10 18:04:06

You poor thing. Really pleased you and your baby are okay. I hope your employer will be understanding about things if the weather continues this way and you can't get in.

3littlefrogs Wed 01-Dec-10 18:05:53

I am a community nurse and my stress levels are off the scale at the moment.

diyqueen Wed 01-Dec-10 18:07:44

Thanks - I'm fine though a bit shaken up and annoyed at myself blush. PaigeTurner - eek! Feeling better about my encounter with a hedge now, that sounds awful!

lal123 Wed 01-Dec-10 18:09:49

3littlefrogs - just a wee thank-you, the stress you are going through is appreciated!

3littlefrogs Wed 01-Dec-10 18:12:46

smile. I really worry about the old people who can't get out, and services can't get in.

Can I just hijack for a minute and say please can everyone check on their elderly neighbours? I heard that the meals on wheels folk can't get through to their clients in a lot of areas ATM.

3littlefrogs Wed 01-Dec-10 18:14:08

DIYqueen - put you feet up and stay warm indoors. Hope you aren't too shaken up.

toomanychristmaslights Wed 01-Dec-10 18:15:47

My dh crashed the car while driving on ice, then 2 weeks later crashed the hire car the day before he got his own car back.

blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: