Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

5 weeks, is it normal to feel like I have swallowed a basketball?

(10 Posts)
bishboschone Wed 01-Dec-10 15:51:24

I am slim(ish) and usually have a flat stomach, I am soo bloated. I had to buy size 8 maternity trousers yeaterday as size 10 normal jeans were too big everywhere else. I know its ridiculous to be wearing them already but everything is is soo tight. I have had some aching pain on and off. Has this happened to anyone else?

Shelbee Wed 01-Dec-10 16:14:08

Hello, yes - I was the same. I was slim and have always had a flat stomach. By 6 weeks, I was struggling to wear any of my normal clothes as I was so bloated and I was in maternity jeans pretty early. Also felt like my stomach was going to burst out through my skin some evenings...

Oh, and lots of aches along the way, like dull period pain, especially around 5/6 weeks which I think is when you would usually be getting your period.

Congratulations and good luck!

bishboschone Wed 01-Dec-10 16:47:06

thanks shelbee, I am seeing the midwife next week and I am worried she will laugh at me.My dd is 7 and I didn't wear maternity clothes until I was at least 6 months! Its pretty uncomfortable but the new trousers have really helped.

lizandlulu Wed 01-Dec-10 19:39:41

hiya, i have just tested positive, but with a long story about a neg test, then 1 week later a pos one, i dont know if i am 1 week or 7 weeks! but am sat here with my jeans undine cause they really feel like they are pressing too much on me. i have not had a big meal for a few days as i just dont feel like i can eat it. i am not slim, i am 18-20 so not noticed any differenct in my actual stomach, just the way it feels!

Waverley82 Wed 01-Dec-10 20:22:52

Hi, yeah I am exactly the same, five weeks and I feel so bloated - I'm a fairly curvy 10/12 and don't normally have a super flat stomach but today I just can't suck it in at all, I feel massive!

Also got some achy feelings which I was worrying about but gather (from my MN searching!) that it can be quite normal at this stage.

LadyGoneGaga Wed 01-Dec-10 22:41:22

6 weeks tomorrow and just had to go and put my maternity jeans on this week. My normal ones will just about do up but I feel like I'm being cut in half. Think I am going to show much earlier this time round! And will be living in leggings and long tops.

Smiler80 Thu 02-Dec-10 04:59:25

Hi bishboschone,

I'm about 9 weeks and can relate to your experience. I'm about average build (size 10) with normally fairly flat stomach, but at around 5 weeks my abs seemed to simply give in completely and my belly just popped out.

It's not a bump - my theory is it's got something to do with muscle tone. I simply can't tighten my abs anymore to suck the belly in so to speak. Also had lots of aches and twinges up to about 7 weeks, and still when I exert myself. Couldn't really bear tight waistbands so I've simply been sitting with my trousers undone most of the time (in private that is)!

Everything still seems to be OK and I read a lot of other stories about aches early on in the first trimester, so I've given up worrying about it. It seems it's fairly common so best focus on that!

Hope all goes well for you.

bishboschone Thu 02-Dec-10 05:59:21

Thanks everyone, glad I am not the only one then. It just seems so silly to be in maternity clothes but the jeans I got look like normal jeans but are comfy( new look £16 btw) inam usually. A size 10 in jeans but bought the 8 maternity and to be honest they are a bit big but sooo comfy i don't care.I normally have strong stomach muscles and when I had Dd(7) my stomach went flat again in hours..so who knows what will happen this time.excuse typing(iPhone)

mookickkick Thu 02-Dec-10 13:12:42

Very relieved to read this thread, as it's my second time and although I'm only 5 weeks, I look more like 15 weeks. My lower back also aches like crazy, particularly at night. The worst part is not being able to tell people that you're not (only) eating all the pies!

bishboschone Thu 02-Dec-10 14:09:16

I know mookick..the only blessing is its winter and you can blame the layers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: