Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Consultant appt at 23wks - what to expect?

(6 Posts)
aideesmum Wed 01-Dec-10 09:02:31

Hi. I'm currently 19wks pg and have just received an appt to see a consultant at 23wks due to last pg I had an emergency CS. Will they have my notes from last pregnancy to hand or do I need to ask for these? What kind of tests etc are likely to happen? It says appt could last for 2hrs!

CrazyPlateLady Wed 01-Dec-10 09:36:54

They will have your notes, but doesn't mean they have actually read them. At my appointment I was asked if I knew what had happened last time (wrt my follow up appointment with a colorectal surgeon) and I just said I couldn't remember so she looked through my notes.

It won't last any where near 2 hours. They will probably tell you you have a choice of c section or natural birth (if your hospital allows this) then make another appointment for you to let them know nearer the time. They will do the usual urine, blood pressure tests and listen to the heartbeat but that will be it.

Consultant appointments are a bit crap at this stage and it is really setting the stage for later on.

aideesmum Wed 01-Dec-10 09:47:33

Thanks CPL - I hope it's as simple as that. TBH I'm a bit hazy about the reason why I had an EMCS - think it was failed induction, not progressing but I was pushing and they could see the head, tried forceps and ventouse and he still wouldn't budge. His head size was 38cm so not sure if it was that! Guess I will find out at the appt.

stegasaurus Wed 01-Dec-10 09:58:16

I had an appointment letter that said the appointment could last 2hrs. I didn't see what they could possibly do to me that would take 2hrs so didn't really believe that, but ended up being there for more than 2hrs and almost all of that time was waiting to be seen. Be prepared for this and take a good book or something just in case.

CrazyChristmasLady Wed 01-Dec-10 20:16:06

Oh yeah, I was 45 minutes late in to the appointment but I think the 2 hours they say to allow is for them to see you.

It will probably be a health care assistant who sees you first, does the tests then you have to wait for the consultant (or in my case the registrar) to come in. Its all this faffing which is probably why they say allow up to 2 hours.

aideesmum Thu 02-Dec-10 10:09:37

Thanks. Will take plenty of snacks and something to do to pass the time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: