Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Measuring small - Should I be concerned?

(9 Posts)
CJMommy Tue 30-Nov-10 15:52:27

Hi all

Am 37 weeks tomorrow and been to midwife today - measure 34.5 which is only 1/2 cm bigger than when I was measured two weeks ago. I have always measured 1cm under my gestation and she said that they would see me in 2 weeks and send for growth scan if needed. Should I be any more worried about this?

Pregnancy has been uneventful and this is my second. If I am sent for a scan and the babe has stopped growing, what will be the likely course of action?

Thanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Nov-10 15:55:34

CJ, I would imagine that if your MW was worried she would send you for a growth scan now.

If you are still measuring small at the growth scan they may suggest an induction, however, I'm not trained so don't take this as gospel.

Probably the best thing would be to give your MW a call as hopefully she will be able to put your mind at rest.

MakemineaGandT Tue 30-Nov-10 15:57:32

don't worry. It is so haphazard anyway and you are only slightly "small". I was deemed a month too small in both my pregnancies and had babies of almost 9 lbs and 9.5 lbs!

goodlifemummy Tue 30-Nov-10 16:15:40

It might be the way the baby is lying, like my sister had, and you are nearly at the end anyway, so I wouldn't worry, its hardly an exact science. I have been measuring 2 weeks ahead for aaaages, and the last 2 weeks I am a week smaller - go figure!

jellyhead188 Tue 30-Nov-10 17:40:39

I measured small with both my children, had an 8lb 10oz baby and a 7lb (2 weeks early!). I am tall and have a lot of space though so I know I always seem smaller than I am!

I wouldn't worry too much, if this is your first pg, the baby often engages early which makes you seem smaller anyway.

If they're concerned they'll send you for a scan sooner. x

sh77 Tue 30-Nov-10 18:19:37

I measured small on my due date (about 4cm). Was sent for emergency scan, which showed amniotic fluid level had dropped and baby's growth had slowed since a month earlier. I was induced the next day as doc said placenta had stopped functioning efficiently and so it was better for baby to out and to get fed.

Before scan, I asked MW if it could be because baby had engaged and she said she wanted to rule out any problems.

CJMommy Tue 30-Nov-10 18:44:40

Thanks all. The midwife didn't seem worried at all which was reassuring. Will see what I am in two weeks!

ANTagony Tue 30-Nov-10 18:51:27

I had this on the last midwife visit. I was told that there is a 2cm tolerance on accuracy with a tape (so + or - 2 weeks). I was measuring 28 at 27 wks and now 29 at 31wks.

YuleBeLucky Tue 30-Nov-10 18:53:12

It's an imprecise science, I'm afraid. I would wait for the growth scan and seriously try not to worry. Your measurements aren't extreme at all, just a little small.

I was small for dates all along with my second child and she was born at 37 weeks weighing 7lbs, so hardly tiny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: