Talk

Advanced search

Is morning sickness better/worse in 2nd pregnancy?

(21 Posts)
Arabella36 Tue 30-Nov-10 13:16:30

Am feeling worried about feeling sick when I go back to work after maternity leave. If all goes according to plan I'll be just pregnant when I go back. I need to be able to concentrate at work, but I'm too old to risk leaving TTC for any longer.

My first pregnancy I had nausea in the first trimester and a lot of tiredness. Had to go to bed after work.

In your experience have nausea and tiredness been the same severity, better or worse second time round?

Please be honest, I need to prepare myself, lol!

MaeMobley Tue 30-Nov-10 13:18:35

Nausea was worse second time round. I can't remember about tiredness.

Wigeon Tue 30-Nov-10 13:23:48

First time: no nausea at all.

Second time: some nausea in first trimester. Currently in second trimester and has gone entirely.

Greenmantle Tue 30-Nov-10 13:39:43

Nausea wasn't quite as bad the second time but tiredness much much worse. Probably because I've got a toddler to contend with and can't just come home and laze on the sofa in my pyjamas!

jellyhead188 Tue 30-Nov-10 13:42:46

Nausea and tiredness much much worse second time round, I had to have my son childminded for 2 weeks as I literally couldn't get out of bed. 3rd time however, much milder, it went on for a lot longer though wearing off at 18 weeks. Every pregnancy is different, I don't think you can really predict it to be honest, just prepare for the worse!

Arabella36 Tue 30-Nov-10 13:47:24

Thanks to all for replying. Don't know how I'll manage the pregnancy nausea + back to busy career after mat leave + looking after my existing baby all at once!

Well, I'll just have to get on with it, that's life! A big change though after so many years of only having to think about my career and myself, lol

saucetastic Tue 30-Nov-10 15:59:19

Just to give you a different answer . My first pregnancy was awful - morning day and night sickness throughout the whole 39 weeks.

This one has been a dream - day sickness only from week 6 -12!

Each pregnancy can be very different.

ipredicttrouble Tue 30-Nov-10 16:03:23

So far better the 2nd time round. I'm sure it's all very random though.

Arabella36 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:19:22

Oh, those last two posts give me reason to hope!

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 30-Nov-10 20:22:02

Sorry to say but worse 2nd time around and lasted longer

Am nearly 23 weeks now and vvv pleased to be past the sick stage

On the bright side, memory is already diminishing somewhat - I guess it has to or humans would never reproduce after baby 1!!

Arabella36 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:24:50

Dammit!

sam26oscar Tue 30-Nov-10 20:45:56

first time small amount of nausea and extreme tiredness,

second time 24/7 nausea for 15 weeks not really tired at all ...weird!!

sorry xx

LynetteScavo Tue 30-Nov-10 20:48:15

The same in all 3 pg, but I learned to handle the sickness better.

Sorry, you will probably have to go to bed when you get home from work if you did before!

Obviously it is all worth it in the long run. smile

4thtimelucky Tue 30-Nov-10 21:03:41

definitely worse this time!

With DS, I think I had half a day of nausea but did need lots of sleeping.

Returning to work full time in Jan when it so happens I will be 12 weeks pg, I am praying that this 24/7 nausea and utter exhaustion will have gone by then. And that I won't get an early bump so don't have to tell everyone in the office on day 1!

DreamingofFour Tue 30-Nov-10 21:08:51

generally nausea and tiredness worse with each successive pregnancy, lasting longer too (16 weeks not 12 weeks). Partly because of older children (toddlers), partly because I was older? Once I accepted it was going to be rubbish, it got easier to handle. Also - top tip- found secret cupboard at work to lie down in each day, had blankets in there too. Just used to disappear!

gillykins2011 Tue 30-Nov-10 21:13:56

definitely worse second time around.... Had really horrid tiredness and nausea first time around but the worst all day sickness second time around and tiredness which was made worse by the sickness.

if you drive to work, try putting a nice cosy blanket in your car and take a nap at lunchtime!

or if you work at a med sized company they generally have a sick room with a bed that you can lie on - they are just not always that obvious!

deedee321 Tue 30-Nov-10 21:16:16

Nausea and tiredness exactly the same (i.e. horrible for first 16 weeks) in both pregnancies. Good luck!

mummysleepy Tue 30-Nov-10 21:39:40

1st pregnancy very sick, 2nd pregnancy nauseous and tired but rarely sick, so much better really. 3rd pregnancy sick , but not as bad as 1st. I think you learn to deal with it much better eg I knew not to bother even trying to eat breakfast till later in the morning and to always start with fresh orange!
every pregnancy is different!

corblimeymadam Tue 30-Nov-10 21:41:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaraL77 Wed 01-Dec-10 09:38:16

2nd time round worse for me too- more nausea- before and after eating, tiredness about the same but not as easy to deal with as a toddler doesn't give you any rest!

Arabella36 Wed 01-Dec-10 09:39:11

Thanks for your replies, it seems to be variable and difficult to predict

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now