Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Any medics there to diagnose me?

(5 Posts)
HappyHugs Tue 30-Nov-10 11:30:40

I have had a sore throat now for 5 days (has become progressively worse) and have been on penicillin since Sunday but it seems to be having absolutely no impact on the pain. I am 24 weeks pregnant so I am doing my best to continue eating even though every mouthful feels like I am swallowing glass.

This may be tmi but I'm actualy holding off swallowing my own saliva as even that hurts.

My throat is very red and I do have a bit of earache but no temperature or any other symptons. I did have the flu jab (with combined swine flu jab) about 10 days ago if that is relevant....

AmyJane84 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:49:15

I'm not a medic but it sounds like something I get every 2 years, tonsilitis? Are there white spots on your tonsils? If so you may have it. If your throat is inflammed try dissovling some aspirin in water, gargle and spit, do this a couple of times a day. The penicillin should have kicked in by now, have you tried taking paracetamol? I'm not sure if you can take when pg so you'll need to check. If you don't feel better by thurs I would go back to your GP.

I hope you feel better soon.

lucybrad Tue 30-Nov-10 12:00:57

yes, i would say if the penicillin hasnt worked by tommorrow go back because it may be that your particular throat infection is immune to penicillin and you may need a different antibiotic, Does sound like tonsilitus though poor thing.

DanceInTheDark Tue 30-Nov-10 12:04:11

You need to go back to the GP. No one online can diagnose you properly.

ALso Penicillin is an antibiotic not a painkiller. Yes, the pain should be less now but their job is to fight the infection.

Kittykatzen Tue 30-Nov-10 12:58:21

Hi, I would suggest you get re-checked. It might be that it's not responding to antibiotics because it is a nasty viral infection (even white spots on your tonsils doesn't mean it is definitely bacterial), but if things are that bad you need them to check there is no abscess on the tonsils. Your GP may even do a swab of your throat to see if you need a change in antibiotics.
The fact that you have earache too and no fever makes me suspicious it's viral rather than bacterial and won't be helped with penicillin, and you will need pain relief and patience to heal. You can take paracetamol safely in pregnancy but I would understand if you were reluctant to do so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: