Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Veggie Pate

(15 Posts)
oh4goodnesssake Tue 30-Nov-10 10:38:46

OK, I get the meat pates not being good in pg and even the ones with eggs /soft cheese etc. but can I still eat the Tartex yeast stuff in a tube from the health food shop? I have been eating loads of this since the start of my pregnancy and am now a bit worried - how do I know if I have done damage?

youngblowfish Tue 30-Nov-10 11:14:26

I thought it should be safe, on account of containing no animal produce, but apparently this NHS website says:

'Pregnant women are also advised not to eat vegetarian pate, which can also contain listeria. Some vegetarian pate contains raw eggs, which may carry salmonella.'

I don't mean to make you panic, you will probably be absolutely fine, especially if you had no symptoms normally associated with food poisoning.

FindingMyMojo Tue 30-Nov-10 11:24:53

the stuff in the tube won't contain raw eggs though - it will be at least pasturised. It's a highly processed veggie food - I think the likelihood of it having listeria is null too - I think the NHS will be referring to fresh/deli style pates. Perhaps thinking of it as a food paste instead of a pate will help OP?

I haven't had that for years and years and now I fancy some!!

oh4goodnesssake Tue 30-Nov-10 11:26:35

Thanks youngblowfish, I am trying not to get too stressed as I know that the risk is pretty small but I just feel such a dummy for not realising before. When I am trying so hard to be careful it's just upsetting to have made such a stupid mistake.

oh4goodnesssake Tue 30-Nov-10 11:30:02

I really hope that you are right FindingMyMojo, I'm not going to touch them now until after baby is born though.

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Tue 30-Nov-10 11:50:31

I am eating veggie pate. The risk, I believe, is listeria from the bacteria in the uncooked meat ones/soft cheesy ones. Salmonella is not the same thing. The stuff from a tube won't do you any harm. Just my opinion, but I like the think it's a vaguely educated one. grin

Don't panic.

japhrimel Tue 30-Nov-10 11:59:05

As it's a processed product, it's less likely to contain food-poisoning causing bacteria. Though veggie and fish pates are generally out anyway because wet foods that are kept for a while are higher risk to make you ill.

If you haven't had food poisoning it won't have done you any harm yet though. Up to you whether you keep eating it IMO.

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Tue 30-Nov-10 12:03:00

granovita says no

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Tue 30-Nov-10 12:05:55

however it is vegan, so it might not have the same problems as quoted
(btw - that link above was not from granovita, but from ethicalshopping website)

mousymouse Tue 30-Nov-10 12:07:46

I would and did when pregnant. as long as you don't keep the tube open for ages it should be fine.
I love this stuff and my kids as well.

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Tue 30-Nov-10 12:12:15

i've sent Granovita an email to ask...

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Tue 30-Nov-10 12:12:59

sorry, just realised that tartex isn't made by granovita- that's the other one!
blush

oh4goodnesssake Tue 30-Nov-10 14:16:56

I'm not going to risk it but I'm a bit reassured that some of you don't think that it's too dodgy. This pregnany lark is a real minefield, you'd think I'd have got the hang of it by my 3rd but they keep changing the goal posts!

PipPipPip Tue 30-Nov-10 17:20:16

Ladies, you'll be fine!

Even if you sat down and ate three whole raw eggs in a row, there'd only be a teeny tiny risk of anything going wrong.

Just relax and enjoy your food.

TooImmature2BMum Tue 30-Nov-10 18:29:36

Now I'm confused. I thought the risk with pate was to do with it being made from liver, and you're not mean to eat liver due to the high levels of Vitamin A, or something. Is that not right? I thought that would mean that fish or veggie pate would be okay...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: