Talk

Advanced search

baby due next week and I am terrified something will go wrong

(11 Posts)
cath476 Tue 30-Nov-10 09:45:42

I am due to have ds3 next Tuesday by ELCS and I am obsessed that something will go wrong. I am worried about stillbirth, I am worried he will be ill (I have gestational diabetes but it is well-controlled) I am worried he will not be healthy (birth defect or syndrome). I am worried about everything! I don't remember being like this with either ds1 or ds2.
There is no snow here yet but the ground is VERY icy and I am scared to go out anywhere in case I fall. I am scared when I don't feel him move then when he does move I am anxious that he sometimes 'judders' inside instead of kicking. I know I need to get a grip - please come and help me get some perspective!!!

sarahscot Tue 30-Nov-10 09:51:51

I remember feeling exactly the same way before DS was born. I used to sit and cry incase he was stillborn or blind/deaf/had cleft palete/etc/etc/etc. I don't have any useful advice about how to get rid of these thoughts, but I'm sure it's a normal way to feel.

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 30-Nov-10 10:00:33

I find the best way to deal with these kind of thoughts is to look at pictures of very large crowds of people and think 'these people are all ok, and I'm sure my DS will be too.'

Also talking to real life friends can help - on mumsnet it seems that there are large numbers of people who have sadly had stillbirths or children with disabilities, but you have to remember that many of them are on MN because that happened to them, and they came here for support. The vast majority of babies born are perfectly healthy.

hazchem Tue 30-Nov-10 10:25:42

I've recently started having these type of fears and for me the best thing to do is get away from the trigger point.

If it's stuff you are reading on the internet change the website. I've found reading about happy births has help me.

If it's soemthing on the TV change the channel.

If it's something someone is saying askign them to change the story.

And as Cuppa says most babies are born healthy.

cath476 Tue 30-Nov-10 10:38:12

Thank you - in my rational mind I know that the likelihood is that everything will be fine and cuppa, I think that is a good point about MN, it stands to reason that there will be more people on here who have had bad experiences. I justwish this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach would go away!

xkatyx Tue 30-Nov-10 11:17:38

Hi cath476,

Im exactly the same, i also have gestational diabetes.

Its so scarey isnt those thoughts i have been told are common and alot of woman get them, im 30 weeks but absouletly petrified .

cath476 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:24:54

Thanks Katy, it's good to know I'm not alone. I think having GD has made me feel guilty - like my body is somehow failing my baby (I didn't have GD first two times). Again, I know this is ridiculous but can't seem to help how I feel.

xkatyx Tue 30-Nov-10 13:07:05

Yes i completely understand, i didnt have it with my first but did with my second and now with this one.

i feel terrible if i get a reading 1 point over what it should be and worry about her moving etc, it does sound silly but when it's you going through its scarey.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Nov-10 15:32:52

cath, sorry you are feeling so anxious, like the other posters have said the chances are that everything will be fine.

Talking to someone might help. The NCT do a good helpline:

Pregnancy & Birth Line - 0300 330 0772
9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.

You can call our Pregnancy & Birth Line if you have questions about issues relating to your pregnancy or birth, or if you want to chat about your experiences with a fully qualified antenatal teacher.

The Birthchoice website might also help you put your mind at rest.

As for the falling, I managed to fall whilst pg with DD and it was the middle of summer blush. Thankfully she is fine.

cath476 Tue 30-Nov-10 21:17:25

Thanks jilted - will have a look at the website.

Biscuitbreaker Tue 30-Nov-10 21:36:37

You aren't alone. I am due in 8 days and working myself up about this on an almost constant basis. I've no advice, but hope you are ok. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now