Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

35 weeks pregnant and i can't breathe - any advice welcome

(7 Posts)
loubaby1 Mon 29-Nov-10 14:11:26

Hi,
I'm nearly 35 weeks pregnant, i've had a snuffly nose for the last few months and more prone to nose bleeds etc which i know is common. But it's getting unbearable, my nose feels constantly blocked, even though it's not and the central heating is making it worse. I'm not sleeping well at all because i keep waking up with a dry mouth.

Has anyone else had this? Any ideas?

Chynah Mon 29-Nov-10 17:02:45

Don't know whats causing it but you can use otrivine spray sparingly to get some relief.

Sitdownandhaveamincepie Mon 29-Nov-10 17:04:11

Breathe right strips were the best thing ever when I was pg with DS - actually allowed me to sleep without snoring!

nellieisstilltired Mon 29-Nov-10 17:07:02

oh I had this and as it was after a cold I conviced the gp it was sinusitis. I was quite put out when the antibiotics finished but the symptoms hadn't gone away.

Apparently its something to do with your hormones causing the inside of your nose to swell. Sorry I've no idea what te technical terms are to point you in the right direction.

In the meantime drink plenty of fluids to keep your mucosa more moist, and put a bowl of water by the radiator to add moisture to the room.

jellyhead188 Mon 29-Nov-10 22:16:12

I am suffering too - like nellieisstilltired said I'm on antibiotics as my sinuses are all bunged up and my ears hurt but the nurse told me to inhale steam to help clear my nose - nothing in it - apparently you can't use olbas oil now as it can trigger contractions!

xxx

JBrd Mon 29-Nov-10 23:19:19

I've got the same problem. I'm now 17+1, and for the past 5 weeks, my nose has been constantly blocked - apart from that, nothing else, but it's driving me crazy!

Apparently, there is such a thing as 'pregnancy rhinitis', and yes, it's due to all the hormones and the increased bloodflow causing a blocked nose and increased congestion of the nasal passages. And there's not so much you can do about it, either. My midwife recommended inhalation of some aromatic oils (forgot which ones, though), and if you google it, saline irrigation gets mentioned a lot. I'm planning a trip to the pharmacy tomorrow to see what they can offer, I'm so fed up with it.

It's all meant to go away 1-2 weeks after birth, yay...confused

loubaby1 Tue 30-Nov-10 22:27:07

My DP got me some of those breathe strips that go on your nose. Helped me so much last night I'd def recommend them. I only woke up once which was a massive improvement!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: