Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any tips for sickness....

(17 Posts)
Nicplus1and1baking Sun 28-Nov-10 19:38:19

Am 7 wks tomoro and am sooo fed up of feeling sick, it seems to last all day on and off and makes me feel totaly crap sad
Dont remember it being this bad with dd.

Anyone got any tips???

Havingkittens Sun 28-Nov-10 20:20:35

I'm finding Extra Strong Mints quite helpful at the moment, although my nausea isn't yet that bad as I'm only 6 weeks but in the previous pregnancies things like satsumas, grapefruit, peaches, Lychees helped quite a lot. Either quite tart or sour fruit or really clean fresh flavoured fruit both seemed to cut through the sicky feeling.

Hulla Sun 28-Nov-10 20:36:04

Yes sour/tart things for me too. Sherbert lemons have been fabulous. I had some relief with peppermint in my first pregnancy but this time it makes me feel worse and it seems Ginger is the winner.

Also, ready salted crisps and cold, cold drinks help me.

Are you getting enough sleep? I feel worse if I am tired.

I hope it passes soon & you can start enjoying your pregnancy.

SofaKitten Sun 28-Nov-10 20:57:26

Water biscuits and only sips of water were all I could keep down for a couple of weeks.

Am now finding toast is ok, and sucking fox's glacier fruit sweets quite good when having to do something (like drive, work/teach etc).

Vegetables and milk drinks are still a big no-no...

Nicplus1and1baking Sun 28-Nov-10 21:02:14

Sherbet Lemons oh yes de ja vu, had a crazy craving on them with dd lol

am finding that night time, like now is when im ok but then wanting to eat lots and all the wrong stuff so making myself feel sick from stuffing myelf

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 28-Nov-10 21:15:35

FLAT coke - the full sugar version.
Whilst vomiting at my 12 week scan the midwife told me to get some. I was still vomiting at full term with anti sickness drugs and flat coke I felt slightly better!

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Nov-10 21:19:36

try melting ice cubes in your mouth. helped me a little anyway...

JGBMum Sun 28-Nov-10 21:23:16

- fruit ice lollies

- breadsticks

- icy cold water

- lots and lots of rest (if you can)

jellyhead188 Sun 28-Nov-10 21:56:34

Icy fizzy water helped me a bit!

FloraPost Mon 29-Nov-10 07:37:39

Forget keeping to a heathy diet, just eat what you can. I second the salted crisps and fat coke thing and getting lots of rest. I also found cheddar cheese and chopped apple was ok. Try brushing your teeth in the shower - standing upright meade me less likely to gag - and don't brush your teeth for at least an hour after eating.

MrsMills Mon 29-Nov-10 07:46:18

I've has ms for the first time and this is my third pregnancy so it was a bit of a shock. Anyway a glug of gaviscon did the trick most of the time.

nitnatnaboo Mon 29-Nov-10 10:53:35

Last time: nothing helped! Throwing up till 16 weeks. Eating made me worse.

This time: no throwing up yet, just nausea. Eating seems to help.

These seem to be helping me: cold orange squash by the gallon. Crunchy nut cornflakes + ice cold milk, plain crisps, cheese and cucumber sandwiches (?) Erm, that's about it.

Currently nibbling revolting stem ginger in vain hope it will help.

Can anyone recommend a brand / type of ginger biscuit that works well. Is it just good old ginger nuts or should they be of the "organic fairtrade handmade by blue goats in the Atlas mountains" variety?

Havingkittens Mon 29-Nov-10 11:59:10

I have learned that I have to brush my teeth first thing. If I do it after breakfast and coffee then I can definitely say goodbye to my breakfast, even if I didn't feel sick when I started brushing my teeth.

It did make me wonder though, if you throw up your first cup of coffee, can you take that off your daily caffeine allowance and start again? lol.

Fentimans Ginger beer is good, it's very gingery but not sugary like the old fashioned brands. Unfortunately it's quite pricey but I find it a good thing to drink when I'm in the pub as it's a bit more interesting than coke or lemonade, doesn't leave that furry feeling in your mouth that can also make you feel a bit "gaggy" and calms down the nausea. Just be careful because on various occasions when people have gone to buy me a Ginger Beer at the bar they have come back with Crabbies which is obviously a no-no and then I've had to make more of a song and dance than I'd like to about not being able to drink alcohol.

Nunners Tue 30-Nov-10 10:56:17

Nairn's Ginger oatcakes are pretty good - they are not too sugary and release their energy slowly so fend off the nausea for longer.

Supersunnyday Tue 30-Nov-10 11:05:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeedMenInWhiteCoats Tue 30-Nov-10 18:35:03

It doesnt stop you being sick, but vitamin B6 has really really helped with the nausea. 10mg beore bed really helps in the morning.

TransatlanticCityGirl Tue 30-Nov-10 19:25:20

I have been lucky and not had much sickness at all, but things that have helped me keep it at bay:

- Ginger nuts, ginger bread men, ginger ale, ginger tea.... anything with ginger in it

- Get loads of sleep (9 hours or more for me, if I got less than that I was more likely to have a bad day)

- Drink loads of fluids and stay hydrated, even if it means living in the bathroom as a result

- Eat a cracker just before bed, another when you get up to use the loo in the middle of the night, and another first thing before you get out of bed

- Keep lots of dry snacks nearby, and munch the instant you feel anything but perfect in the tummy area. I had pretzels, mixed nuts, dried fruit, and crackers always on hand

I can't say how much of my lack of sickness was attributed to dumb luck or my anal preventative routine. I'm going to guess 75% luck, 25% prevention?? Who knows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now