Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Party season without drink!

(19 Posts)
flowerfairy Sun 28-Nov-10 19:26:53

Am looking forward to a few Christmas do's over the festive period and saw a recipe book for cocktails today. Now i am no big drinker but would like to have some alternative to lemonade/coke/fruit juices to try over Christmas. Does anyone have any tried and tested non-alcoholic cocktail recipes or a website that might have some? Just thought it would be agood place to share for all those alcohol free ladies out there.
TIA

Havingkittens Sun 28-Nov-10 20:22:23

Not sure but there are some interesting mixers on the lono.com webiste.

dribbleface Sun 28-Nov-10 20:31:53

can highly recommend non-alcoholic becks for beer drinkers, tastes like the real thing. I still drink it now from time to time and i'm not pregnant!

Havingkittens Sun 28-Nov-10 20:49:25

Torres non alcoholic wine "Natureo" which you can get from Waitrose is quite nice, also Waitrose do a nice non alcoholic beer called Bavaria.

chocolatestar Sun 28-Nov-10 21:12:40

Christmas with no champagne or wine. Totally depressing.

8rubberduckies Sun 28-Nov-10 21:12:50

Mulled cloudy apple juice sounds weird but is a winner! Just warm up some good quality apple juice with one of the mulled spices bags.

geewaf Sun 28-Nov-10 21:44:32

Ginger beer and cranberry juice with a slice of lime is nice. It feels kind of cocktail like, I drink it all the time even when not pregnant as its tasty. Sainburys alcohol free sparkling wine is good as well, think I will get a few bottles in for christmas and new year.

mamaduckbone Sun 28-Nov-10 21:47:18

Morrisons sold a fantastic non alcoholic sparkling wine when I was pregnant with ds2 - not horrible and sweet like most are. I really felt like I was drinking the real thing. Don't know what it's called though unfortunately.
Otherwise, tonic water with ice and a slice was my regular tipple - could almost pretend that there was gin in it grin

southeastastra Sun 28-Nov-10 21:48:15

just say you don't fancy it! really it's not that hard to make an excuse

PipPipPip Sun 28-Nov-10 22:05:25

My favourite is 2/3 posh fruit juice, 1/3 fizzy water.

Not as sweet as juice and festive on the tongue.

flowerfairy Sun 28-Nov-10 22:42:12

southeast i don't need an excuse i think everyone can tell i'll be 7 months by Christmas!

Mmm some tasty ideas there. I'll be stocking up my store cupboard ready for my nights out and thinking what to buy at the bar.

gumblossom Sun 28-Nov-10 22:52:41

Pink grapefruit juice, tonic water and squeeze of lime - very yummy and hardly notice the gin is missing.

I often ask for a lime and soda at the bar, which is quite nice.

Personally dreading the Christmas drinks occasions as no one will believe my excuses for not drinking and I'll only be about 9 weeks and don't want to tell that early.

But that's a whole other thread.

PGWomble Sun 28-Nov-10 23:17:59

Great thread. I am sick of 'normal' soft drinks, and whilst I like Becks Blue, having something a bit more special at Christmas would be nice. (I will be having a glass of Champagne on the day and New Year's Eve mind you).

Will definitely be trying the apple juice with mulled spice bag and ginger/cranberry combo- thanks!

Snakeears Mon 29-Nov-10 18:25:56

fizzy ginger ale with crushed strawberries and crushed ice - mmmm

in fact ginger ale with raspberries is good too - a dash of elderflower cordial is nice but not too much or it will be sweet

or...

sugar free lime cordial in very cold fizzy water

flowerfairy Mon 29-Nov-10 18:31:10

Mmm. I'm looking forward totrying some of these. Christmas parties can't come soon enough! Now all i've got to do is to figure out how to make my large black tent dress look more interesting for Friday night.

cowboylover Mon 29-Nov-10 18:57:42

There are some nice ones out there and I have been suprised at the amount of bars that also do Mocktails as part of there main coctail menu.

A good site clients use:
www.cocktail.uk.com/db/viewAllCocktails.asp?type=4

I work for a brewery so spend a lot of time in bars!

I love a virgin sex on the beach:
Cranberry juice
Orange Juice
Lemonade and a twist of lime.

I got a plain black tent dress for Next as couldnt find alot of choice and think I am going to tie a ribbon under the bust on the line to brighten it up but will see how it looks!

flowerfairy Tue 30-Nov-10 14:06:32

cowboylover sounds like the same dress. HAve bought some very sparkly flat shoes as well from debenhams and am looking for some sparkly accessories to match. Though the sow has put paid to any shopping trip i'd thought of for now.

spaceal Tue 30-Nov-10 16:23:58

This site has loads of alcohol-free stuff. I haven't tried any of the wine, but was planning on ordering some sparkling wine for Xmas. I tried the Natureo from Waitrose and found it too sweet, almost tasted of apple juice.

I found the site when I was searching for Erdinger Alcohol Free Wheat Beer, which is amazing.

MedicalEd Tue 30-Nov-10 16:29:31

I drank Bentleys on holiday all the time. Just make sure it is the non-alcoholic version you ask for or you'll get one with apple brandy in it.
1 (measure) - lime juice
2 (measures) - cane sugar/syrup
4 (measures) - fizzy or still water
2 dashes - Angostura Bitters (technically it is alcoholic but I think two dashes can hardly give the baby brain damage can it)

Virgin Marys are good too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: