Elective Section or can I get this baby to turn?(17 Posts)
Just been for my 36 week scan yesterday and was told that baby is wrong way, head under my ribs and body in a kind of diagonal position with feet down, this is no4, and my first 2babys were lovely natural deliverys.
No3 was breech and transverse(spotted at about 34 weeks and MW was very casual in the asumption that she would turn)she never did and I ended up having a very truamatic emergency c-section.(that was 9 years ago)
I was hoping to have no4 natural water birth so after yesterdays scan Im a wee bit upset. Surgeon said he did not think there was much probability of the baby turning due to too much room in my womb.
I have another scan in 2 weeks and from there it will be decided if I am having a c-section.
Im a bit confused, would I be better just to settle for c-section or are there any secrets out there to get this baby to turn?
I also have SPD and again with this result from yesterday should I just resign myself to getting my head round another c-section to not add any more pain to my pelvis?(also means I can be sterillised at the same time and get the baby a bit earlier than the due date of 26th dec.......confused
thanks for reading
The only way I know is,try wriggling and rocking your hips, you know, as though you have a hula hoop round your waist. Can't guarantee it, but my youngest was transverse and I got him to put his head down after a midwife suggested it. It took most of 24 hours though and I barely sat all day but worth it. But having just seen you have spd, I don't know if you would be able to do that. She also said the more you have the more room they have to move around cos everything is more elastic and thats why. I was on number 5 at the time but there was a mum in there on number 3 so it could just be down to bad luck. As far as I know there is still time for him to turn then anyway. Good luck!! x
i had an ecv last week which meant that they could move it from the outside and it's now headdown..
I'm almost 39 weeks with baby no 4. My baby was lying tranverse until 2 weeks ago when he turned head down. My last pregnancy was twins (big ones) so I was also told that I had 'saggy muscles' and too much space!
But I always thought he could turn as one of my twins managed to turn at 34 +3 weeks with another 5.5lb twin in the way - I went into labour the next day.
Someone recommended the website 'spinning babies' and I also went swimming. From my experience, I'd say there's still time for him to turn.
My two other births have been natural but I have to admit that I didn't think a C-section would be the end of the world this time, so maybe just wait and see. If the baby decides not to turn maybe it's natures way of not putting too much strain on your pelvis. Since my baby turned this time I've been walking like an 80 year-old.
Tried moxibustion at 38 weeks for my first dc and he didn't budge.
Tried it this time at 35+ and dc turned after the second session.
Have a look at this for info on breech choices and towards the end some stats on moxibustion.
I had ECV for my No 2 and it worked, at 38 weeks - again, was told there was a lot of "room" in there so he could turn back again but they would still be prepared to repeat the ecv even into early labour.
Its worth asking?
http://www.spinningbabies.com/ has lots of information on getting babies to change their position.
Hve they spoke to you about ECV? DD (my first) was transverse when I was induced due to pre-eclampsia at 34+4 and they successfully turned her. I am currently 33 weeks with dc4, who was breech until last week when the MW turned him, and he has stayed head down since then. I heart ECV.
They couldn't even attempt to turn my youngest, I forget why. Thats why I had to resort to rocking lol.
Thank you all for your help, I have no idea what ECV is , and Im just about to do a wee google search, so no it has not been discussed,but the more I try and get my head round this I think indeed it is natures way and it might possible save my pelvis from any more damage.
Im a little worried that I will become obsessed by trying to get this baby to turn and that if I fail it will make me really down.
I love the hula idea Tlise but yep your right there aint a hope these hips of mine coping with that
I will let you all know the outcome.
ECV - manipulating baby from the outside - like a massage - to make it turn.
Yes, try to keep your spirits up despite the raging hormones you probably have! Getting the baby out safely without damaging you is the top priority - the memories of the exact birth details will fade in time, but the child with continue to grow!
Hi Lee. I would ask about ECV although some practicioners won't do it if you've had a previous section.
I had it done at 36 weeks with ds (3rd pg) as I was desperate to avoid a section. I had to really fight with the consultant to get it though - they were pushing hard for a section. He stayed that way and I was induced at 38 due to bad SPD. I would do it again if I needed to. BUT...
Be aware that it is not very comfortable at the best of times. With SPD it was excruciating. I was given morphine but could still feel the pain.
It was worth it - he was born head down, but I think you need all the facts before you make your decision.
Do you think your SPD could cope with being on all fours with your bum in the air and shoulders lower than your head?
Or lying with your spine supported but your feet higher than your head (like on one of those abs boards at the gym)?
However as said it may be better for your body/less painful if baby doesn't turn and you schedule the CS so don't feel guilty if it stays put. From anecdotal experience (from my clients) an elective CS is much less traumatic than emergency/crash CS.
Plus if it does turn then you could in theory cancel the CS and try for a natural birth.
Hiya all and thanks for your chat, tried a wee hip swing in the bath the other day but I then got sore and just thought it was silly to put my poor old body through anymore stress, SPD and now the delightful Hemmaroids I am due for a scan on fri, I ma very tense and grumpy at the mo...even had a tantrum with a bag of flour and rasins(dont ask) but it was messy LOL....have just resigned myself that a C-Section is better for my recovery in the long term...and I can ask for a steralisation at the same time....I have done my bit me thinks .. sorry for all the spelling oppps but my brain has gone bonkers..sleeping mode is rubbish twitchy legs keeping me awake all night, but going to try bananas and tonic water tonight mmmmm yummmmy.
Let you all know on Fri what the outcome will be xxx
Can I ask those of you who have had ECV - does it hurt? What can I expect?
I'll be 37 weeks (with DC4) on Friday when I am booked in for ECV.
I'm a bit nervous.
Back again,ok so Fri went as expected had another scan and wee one still transverse & Breech, so had a chat with surgeon who told me what was going to happen and booked me in for Section on the 17th, had to go back in on the 14th to get blods done for transfusion purpose, and the MW needed a wee check of my tummy well imagine my shock she said "your not transverse" she said the head is down she rushed off to get another scan booked and yep she was right WEE ONE IS HEAD DOWN!!! so my section was cancelled and I have now to sit and wait for my due date 26th dec, I just know it will all start to happen on christmas LOL!
I have been in total shock for the week as I never even felt the wee one move, next check up is christmas eve OMG!!
wow that's lucky! Hope it all goes well.
I was told this week by midwife that although baby is probably head down and engaged, she couldn't be certain baby wasn't breech. We'll check the situation again in a couple of weeks and with 4 weeks to go, I'm not panicking too much.Guess it won't hurt to check out the links provided though.
Looks like you'll have an exciting Christmas Lee.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.