Talk

Advanced search

Job offer & very early pregnancy?!

(12 Posts)
Hodel Fri 26-Nov-10 15:36:24

As luck would have it I had two job offers on the same day AND found out I'm pregnant!

I'm currently unemployed so really want/need to work. At the same time, I'm feeling unsure about whether I should fess up or what? I'm only 4 weeks (pg#2). It's such early days that I suppose anything could happen, so I think I shouldn't open my mouth - my parents don't even know yet! But, I'm in the negotiation stage right now discussing salary, terms, etc., so it could be a good time to be honest and work out an agreement.

I'm not in the UK and employment rights here are very different. There is no protection, and I could be fired if they find out down the line and are unhappy about it.

I don't know. I thought this would be a good place to ask and get a wide range of opinions.

What would you do???

badkitty Fri 26-Nov-10 16:09:22

I don't know but am in a similar position myself - had an interview yesterday for a job which I really want - found out I was pregnant (rather unexpectedly..) this morning - assuming I get offered the job, I have no idea what to do about it!

Jobob80 Fri 26-Nov-10 16:28:17

There's no legal requirement for you to tell your employer that you're pregnant until 15 weeks before EWC, IIRC. However, you don't always qualify for maternity provisions from an employer unless you've been working for a particular amount of time.

I think I would find it hard to say I was pregnant before I'd started at the job. I was fairly new (3 months) at my job when I fell pregnant, and I told my team pretty much as soon as I knew because I'd had a bad history and because my job includes site visits which I'd need to either avoid or to schedule carefully.

RunDMC Fri 26-Nov-10 18:20:19

Realistically Hodel you might not even know yourself yet so I'd hold off and break the news to them once you've done the deal.

PipPipPip Fri 26-Nov-10 19:03:08

Wow, what a hard one!

You could take the job and then (once you're more comfortable with the news yourself - at 12 weeks perhaps) tell them that you only just found out.

It is a bit of a lie, but not everyone knows as early as four weeks!!

PipPipPip Fri 26-Nov-10 19:06:48

One question: is the job one that can be covered for easily? Like, how long would it take to train a maternity-cover-person?

lilly13 Fri 26-Nov-10 19:20:29

I would definitely take the job, provided 1) you physically feel ok, 2) will not be under too much undue stress associated with the job, 3) have familiarized yourself with the company's employment policies and your rights/obligations (such as, maternity entitlement and giving notice, etc)... Which country are you in? Can you get an unemployment insurance coverage (eg, you will get payments in case of redundancy; they used to have this in the UK pre-crisis for highly skill employees in certain industries)... Good luck!

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 21:54:34

Don't tell them. You're so early that even if they find out down the line they can't prove you knew when they took you on. If it's a safe environment and there are no H&S reasons why they need to know, then go as long as you can! I was at least 20 weeks before I was showing enough to be really obviously pg. I am now 33+2 and still working full-time and perfectly capable, and will carry on working til 2 weeks before EDD. If you have been working for a while and proven yourself to be competent and unlikely to be taking loads of time off sick etc, then they'll be more likely to keep you on when they do find out! x

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 27-Nov-10 10:59:58

I would take the job and keep my mouth shut. I work in HR and can say it's none of their damn business at this stage - and it's entirely possible you only found out you were pregnant a few more weeks down a the line. They can't sack you either, your rights are protected.

The only thing they can do is not pay you maternity leave, but frankly, if you're unemployed now you have absolutely nothing to lose. They still need to keep your job for you for when you return.

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 27-Nov-10 11:01:59

Sorry I just re-read your post and saw that you are NOT in the UK. May I ask where you are living?

Hodel Sat 27-Nov-10 15:03:42

Hi all. Thanks for your opinions on this. The consensus seems to be not to tell. I'm such a rubbish liar - but I guess it is worth putting on a good act in this case.

I'm in Singapore so there are very few employment rights here. I'm missing the UK terribly right now! I believe I will be eligible for 12 weeks unpaid maternity leave. I don't believe they have to hold the job beyond that time. It is very easy to fire someone here. I don't think I would be protected if they decided to fire me when they find out I'm pregnant. I suppose the way to look at it is that since I'm currently unemployed, it is better than nothing.

Job 1 is a 6 month project contract which will be relatively low pressure, except if the project runs over in which case I'm in serious trouble. I'll be contractually responsible for a large number of deliverables but won't have any control over the greater project timeline - which could slip past my EDD.

Job 2 is an great permanent role in a very good company. It is better for me in the long run. However, the role is going to mean a lot of travel and probably be more stressful on a day to day basis. At the same time, I could go on maternity leave and not have to worry about anything.

Still confused! confused

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 27-Nov-10 19:13:01

Hmmmm.. would you want to be travelling while pregnant? Don't get me wrong... if you're up for it I see nothing wrong with it. But many people I know barely want to leave the house while preggers, never mind travel lots. Especially when they have a 3 month old baby at home.
Although I do know someone who not only went back to work after 3 months, she split her working time between London and New York, as she was given an amazing career opportunity she couldn't turn down. So it can be done.
(I think I personally am very up for taking a vacation while pregnant but would hate to be travelling on business.... but I hate business travel at the best of times - just a personal thing)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now