Talk

Advanced search

nearly 37 wks Baby Back to Back

(11 Posts)
smoggii Fri 26-Nov-10 14:29:43

Midwife told me this morning that my DD has shifted from the perfect head down slightly to the left lie of two weeks ago to back to back.

The midwife sounded horrified and said i need to work on getting her moved!

What does this mean for the birth? The only thing i'm desperate to avoid is an epidural and i've read that with back to backs this is the best option.

Anyone had good back to back birthing experiences?

I've just been to buy a birthing ball to bounce on, and going to ensure i only sleep on my left for the next few weeks.

Anyone got any other tips? What do you think my chances are of getting her to flip?

PrematureEjoculation Fri 26-Nov-10 14:35:16

the midwife should not have sounded horrified. the more relaxed you are about this, the better it will go.

i gave birth to a back-to-back baby in 3 hours - though generally they take longer as the baby turns in labour, there is a hiher chance of the waters breaking in advance of labour.

stay active when in labour, go on all fours.
i didn't find the pain unbearable - though of course it bloody hurt - all labour does!
there was a really good thread on this...

mustdash Fri 26-Nov-10 14:38:34

DD3 was back to back, and took about 15 hours to turn. That didn't hurt much at all, though I had a tens machine on throughout. It was actually lovely watching her get into position. I kept mobile the whole time though - walking the dog, doing yoga etc which I think really helped. Then as soon as she got herself in position out she popped. Try not to worry, and I hope you've found the thread on it by now.

Good luck. smile

PrematureEjoculation Fri 26-Nov-10 14:44:47

this article

i found enlightening.

smoggii Fri 26-Nov-10 14:46:55

Thank you both i already feel a bit better x I will search for the other thread now

PrematureEjoculation Fri 26-Nov-10 14:49:14

here it is

japhrimel Fri 26-Nov-10 14:56:43

Spend lots of time in a forward leaning position and avoid spending too much time in any position that means your pelvis is tilted back (e.g. sitting on sofa, in the car or in most office chairs).

rudbekia Fri 26-Nov-10 19:43:17

go on all fours with your head on your arms and bum in the air (classy!!!) every day and try to build up to keeping this position for up to 15mins at a time....then lie down on your left side. this technique is supposed to help a back to back baby find its way round again.

if its any consolation my baby is more 'back' then forward according to my MW, i'm just 37wks and she didn't seem in the slightest bit bothered! i have also read that visualising your baby the right way round and talking to it can help.....anything is worth a go eh?!

goodlifemummy Sat 27-Nov-10 09:09:03

37 weeks here too and not quite back to back, more left lie. I was also advised to sleep on my right hand side to encourage bubba to flip. Will be leaning on ball mostly this weekend, but don't want to bounce too much as still waiting for my tens machine off ebay to be delivered!!! Soon as it comes though - boing boing! I also saw my registrar this week and he said its no big deal, and midwives make such a fuss about it, most babies flip during labour. But then, you know what doctors are like!! My main problem is I find it hard to drag my sorry ass off the sofa!!

camdancer Sat 27-Nov-10 09:33:16

Both of mine were in the perfect head down position until the labour actually started. Then they turned back to back - awkward buggers! grin

My first labour was ok. I moved enough so that he turned. It hurt - it's labour.

The second one wasn't quite so easy. I got too stressed and pushed too early. DD got a stuck on an anterior lip. If I hadn't had two very experienced midwifes and been at home, I'd have had to had a emcs. In the end, just as they were discussing phoning the ambulance DD turned and was born really quickly. I think the key is to keep changing positions. DD was born when I was lying on my side with one leg held aloft by a midwife (nice!!). Also try to stay relaxed and calm. Trust that your body knows what to do and just go with it. It will hurt but it is that good hurt that comes with working hard to produce something amazing.

Wobbledoos Mon 29-Nov-10 13:53:20

hiya!

on your knees as much as possible throughout the day is my recommendation! followed by a 29 minute labour/birth for me! ;)

good luck.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now