Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Has anyone had the flu jab this year?

(20 Posts)
GretnaGirl Fri 26-Nov-10 12:33:03

Sorry if this is in another thread somewhere... has anyone had the flu jab this year? My doctor surgery has just rang to offer me it and I don't know what to do???

hazchem Fri 26-Nov-10 12:35:11

i had it. Hurt my arm for a little bit but that's about it.
I don't normally have it because i can't be bothered to pay for it.

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 12:53:48

These threads might be useful:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1086377-11-weeks-pr egnant-and-been-offered-the-flu-jab-through-work-l ots-of-conflicting-advice-on-the-net-what-do-you-t hink

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1066100-Flu-Jab-inc -H1N1-strain

Official advice from DoH is all pregnant women should get it this year. It protects you and baby from flu, and particulalry swine flu that is risky for pg women in particular.

I had it a couple of days ago. Arm was a bit sore but no other ill effects.

jcp123 Fri 26-Nov-10 12:57:05

I've had it too with the sore arm effect for a couple of days.

There was a news item on the BBC site a couple of weeks ago saying that some research indicates it protects not just mum-to-be but also baby for the first 6 months of life. Also said that in the USA, pregnant mums have always been offered flu jab.

applecharlotte Fri 26-Nov-10 12:58:23

Yep.. wasn't sure at the time if it was the right decision but 3 weeks later there are two people off sick in my office with flu. So I'm VERY relieved I got it.

AllBellyandBoobs Fri 26-Nov-10 13:04:04

Yes, after much indecision I had it last week. I'm going to be pregnant all through winter so it seemed sensible. Had no side effects at all

Smiler80 Fri 26-Nov-10 13:50:29

I had the flu jab when I went to see my GP after getting my BFP. She just said: "do you want your flu jab now? Absolutely fine in pregnancy" and I didn't think twice about it (I do get it every year though).

This year's flu jab includes the swine flu strain. It didn't hurt for days after like last year's did.

Please note however: you can still get flu after having the jab. It only protects you against certain common / virile strains, but there are millions of other strains out there to which you will still be unprotected.

superpenguin Fri 26-Nov-10 14:18:50

yes I had it. very reassuring to have had it.

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 14:50:55

Smiler80 - you're right there - the flu virus mutates all the time, that's why you have to get it done every year. They produce a vaccine against all the common strains that are around at the time each year - so hopefully your chances of getting flu are vastly reduced. The common cold can still be nasty though etc! Just get the jab, distance yourself from sneezers and hope for the best! wink

Biscuitbreaker Fri 26-Nov-10 14:53:21

Should you still have it if you're 38 weeks?

japhrimel Fri 26-Nov-10 14:55:24

Probably a good plan as you'll be run down after the birth, so although the risks may be lower (ie. flu is less likely to put you and baby in hospital!), you really won't want to get flu with a newborn.

I had the jab and am very glad I did. No side effects either and usually I get some.

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 14:56:15

Yes, the DoH says at any stage of the pregnancy it is recommended - and perfectly safe. pg women in third trimester are more at risk of the complications associated with swine flu, so all the more reason. Plus, get it now while you are entitled to it for free. Do you really want flu while you are bf/running around after a newborn? smile x

GretnaGirl Fri 26-Nov-10 15:11:53

Thanks everyone, I've been consulting Dr Internet along with taking in all your comments. I think I'll call and make the appointment.

Biscuitbreaker Fri 26-Nov-10 15:12:14

No, but really I worry about the safety of the vaccine on unborn baby. Could I have vaccine after birth, then breastfeeding baby would pass on some immunity to baby?

tlise Fri 26-Nov-10 15:12:51

I'm having mine next week. Was a bit worried, but after reading the boards, then talking to someone at work who has had it and is pregnant, its made me worry less. they wouldn't be offering it if there was any harm, or didn't do any good

japhrimel Fri 26-Nov-10 17:30:27

The highest risk with flu is to your unborn baby when you are pregnant afaik, so there is a definite argument to get the jab when pregnant as its not just about protecting yourself. If you got the flu when heavily pregnant, you're at high risk of complications and that means your baby is also at serious risk.

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 20:41:43

The vaccine is not actually a live virus, it's just a synthetic from that is the same "shape" of the virus so your body produces antibodies against it that will also "fit" the flu virus and kill those as soon as they enter your body so you don't become infected with actual flu. Therefore I really don't see how the virus can harm you in any way. I think sometimes people get worried because thay hear you can get slightly "fluey" symptoms after the vaccine (e.g. a fever, but this is rare) but this is actually your immune system responding to this "fake" virus and starting to produce antibodies against it. That is what causes these early symptoms of a cold or flu - your body's immune system trying to fight it. There is no risk of getting actual flu or any of it's complications from the vaccine.

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 20:44:53

"Therefore I really don't see how the virus can harm you in any way"

Sorry, I meant vaccine!

KatieScarlett2833 Fri 26-Nov-10 20:45:42

No

tlise Fri 26-Nov-10 21:43:23

Glitteryballs, apparently you can get fluey symptons after, so I was told, but you are right, its not from the vaccine, but chances are that's cos you have come into contact with a cold virus elsewhere. Someone I know was told to avoid anywhere that you can catch viruses for a couple of weeks as the vaccine itself lowers the immune system which is already lowered by being pregnant meaning you are even more susceptible than normal to things while you are building up antibodies Seeing as I help in school, Im needless to say, taking a few days off lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: